Announcement

Steve and I had driven to Tony's that night after our engagement. It was honestly the best night of my life. Steve and I stayed in our moment for almost an hour just stood there swaying in each other's arms.

Until we finally came home, got our bags and went off towards the tower. We did get stuck in Christmas traffic but I didn't care one bit. I couldn't t stop staring at my ring. I was also forever smiling, I don't think anything could stop me. The ring was beautiful. It was simple yet elegant. It was truly everything I ever wanted. Every time I thought back to that moment that only happened a few hours ago I wanted to cry. Steve was everything to me and I could finally say he was forever mine.

I was going to be Mrs Rogers.
I held Steve's hand firmly in mine the whole car journey. We got there pretty late. Everyone was mostly asleep. We said a quick hello to Tony and Pepper before we headed straight for our room. We couldn't help but giggle along the hallway like school children as we hid our excitement and happiness.

Tony looked at me so weirdly because I don't think he had ever seen me that happy. I think I looked like I was glowing. We shut the door and laughed as we fell back onto the bed abandoning our cases on the floor. Steve stood up after a moment to take his jacket off. I lifted my arms and he helped me up.

He didn't take his hands out of mine instead he lifted my left hand up to his mouth and pressed a kiss onto my ring finger. I smiled brightly at him and pulled him in for a kiss.
"I love you." I spoke softly.
"I love you more." He smiled while stroking up and down my cheek.
"Are we going to tell them tomorrow?" I ask Steve excitedly.
"If you want to. I'm sure they'll be ecstatic." He joked making me laugh and throw my head back.
"I'm sure." I whispered bringing my forehead to his. He kissed it before helping me take my jacket off.

We got changed and hopped into bed. Steve led on his back while I laid on my side against him. Our arms wrapped around each other, legs entangled and my head lay in the crook of his neck. He brought a hand up to play with my hair as his other fiddled with my ring.
"I can't believe you're mine." He whispered. I think more to himself.
"I can say the same. Could you imagine the look on our faces if we got told that in 1945?" I ask with a slight giggle. Steve laughed lightly too.
"That would have been amazing. I wouldn't have believed them." Steve admitted.
"Why?" I ask.
"Because I never thought I would be good enough for you. Even then when I wasn't sure of my feelings, I knew I felt something towards you. Something, different. But I wanted what was best for you. And I didn't think you needed me as much as I needed you."

"I did. I still do. I always will. Even back in the summer of 1945 I thought the world of you. I could only imagine growing old with you one day, possibly starting a family. Now it seems like that could all come true." I tell him.
"Well, we're one step closer doll."
"Yes we are." I yawned as I snuggled closer into him. Steve squeezes me tighter against him.
"Go to sleep baby."
"This isn't a dream is it?" I ask tiredly with my eyes closed.
"No baby. It isn't. This is real." He muttered before I soundly fell into the best nights sleep I've ever had.

The next morning I wake up completely up against Steve. We are both led on our side now and I'm tucked into his chest while his head rests on top of mine. My eyes flutter open and I immediately wriggle my hand out and fiddle for my ring. When I find it, I smile.

It wasn't a dream.

I wrap my arms around Steve's neck and pull myself closer to the point where not even a sheet of paper could fit between us.
I play with his hair until I feel his hold on me grow stronger, letting me know he was waking up.
"Good morning my fiancé." I giggle softly in his ear, making him pull back to look at my face. He smiles brightly and I repeat his actions.
"Good morning."