16. Surrogate mother

Before you get to the chapter, I feel once again the need to make clear I don't hate Meghan and I have nothing against her. Everything is just for the plot.

***

Harry rested his head in his hands, taking a deep breath. He was sitting at the kitchen table and he had just argued with his wife. It was a cloudy February day, without important events approaching, and the couple was discussing about how to handle their baby's arrival in few months.

They had some important decisions to take, first of all wether or not they would have announced that they had a surrogate mother carrying their child. Harry was sure and knew what was the right thing to do. He wanted to tell his family, he didn't like to keep things hidden from them and he feared that if he didn't, someday, they would have eventually found out, making it even worse.

Meghan, though, didn't agree, and she wanted to keep it a secret between the two of them. She didn't care about the Queen not knowing, she didn't care about anyone, but her, and her imagine.

After a few minutes of silence, Harry raised his head back up and stared at her. "Meg let's calm down, okay?"

The woman snorted, turning to him. "What, now?"

"Nothing, nothing, just... Why don't we try talking about it again, remaining calm? I'm not forcing you, I just want you to hear my opinion."

"Fine, then" she replied sitting at the chair in from of him, "Let's hear these great opinions you have, come on."

Harry gently shook his head, trying not to react to those words. "Meghan," he sighed reaching out for her hand, and holding it in his. "I love you, and you know. You are the most important person in my life- you're my life. You, and our baby. But also my family is important to me, and I like when they're involved in our lives. That's why to me, it's important that they know. Not because I want you to look bad to their eyes- because I want them to know how strong you are, because you didn't let yourself down and was brave enough to find a way to have our child, no matter what. That you can find a way to carry on, no matter what life throws at you. I want them to know the same person I know, and that person is a brave, strong, independent and intelligent woman, that will always and forever be the mother of our children."

Meghan's face relaxed and a little smile appeared. She held her husband's hands. "I love you so very much, Haz. That's what I love of you," she said. "You know how to use words, how to persuade people to do what you want. And you're so good at it." She smiled wide.

"Is that... A yes?" Harry stood up in front of Meghan, beaming in happiness.

She stood up as well and kissed him, whispering "I love you". She walked few steps away and before leaving the room she turned once again, shook her hand and went "By the way, the answer is always and forever a no."

***

"Your Royal Highness. Her Majesty is waiting for you."

The valet held the car door opened as Victoria stepped out in front of Buckingham Palace. She smiled to him before taking few steps ahead and nodding.

"Thank you."

"This way, if you please." The man lead the way towards the empty corridors and halls of the enormous palace. Victoria knew them so we'll she would have been able to tell exactly where she was in every moment even with her eyes closed. When she was little, she used to visit her great-grandmother quite often, together with her father or grandfather, and most of times she was in Buckingham Palace.