🍁 Chapter 38

“This is the most appropriate place. It isn’t far from the city, and since it was run by an old couple, it has regular customers. However, the workshop focused on repair work rather than producing goods because they didn’t have a separate craftsman.“

“Then I don’t have to hesitate.” I picked up the second document. "Please buy it right away. Madame DeJoue?”

When I called her, Madame DeJoue came to my side. I gave her the papers and said, “Please send the maids who are on call at the mansion here right away. Have you told them yet?”

"Yes. They said it doesn’t matter where they work. They actually seemed happy to work at a workshop.”

"That’s good."

I turned my head toward Huran. He had been quietly staring at me. The moment I met those eyes, I felt goosebumps.

Ah. I thought it was really Chan.

Meeting Huran was dangerous. I felt as if I was getting closer to that man.

"Thank you for coming today, Huran."

“It’s an honor to see you.”

***

"Ughhh, I’m tired."

Huran didn’t go back until it was almost dinnertime. Then, at night, I comforted Carol, who had a slight fever, and put her to bed. Finally, I stepped out to the garden for a moment. It was a bit chilly in the evenings in late spring, so I adjusted my shawl.

I walked about the garden for a while.

It was because I was a little upset after seeing Huran’s face.

The regrets that sometimes struck me when I was in Korea came to bother me again tonight.

The desolate garden had become trimmed up thanks to the efforts of Madame DeJoue and the head maid.

Under the duchess’s neglect, not a single flower had bloomed in this barren land. Now, primroses shone brightly under the moonlight.

It was when I was slowly walking around the empty garden that I heard something.

Rustle.

"What’s that?"

I hurriedly turned my head. I looked around to see if a cat or something had been hiding, but I didn’t see anything.

“Did I imagine it?”

But as soon as I said that, I heard more rustling sounds.

“Who, who is it?!”

I clenched the shawl tightly and stepped back.

“Sharon, it’s me.”

Fortunately, a familiar voice spoke nearby. Julien appeared between the trees.

“Wh-what are you doing? I was really surprised. How did you get in?”

“The gatekeeper let me in. But Haru couldn’t come in, so it’s just me.”

The prince shrugged. It had been a long time since the gatekeepers were replaced with Madame DeJoue’s people.

It was possible because Madame DeJoue had already made connections with most of the duke’s soldiers. That was why Julien was able to enter.

"It’s nighttime. What’s up?"

The prince came to me without answering. His red hair gleamed distantly under the moonlight.