Ch-18: A Journey worth remembering

Lydia's POV

Neither we nor God Zeus himself could conjecture anything about the ceasing of rainfall. 

It was just there with us all day right from the beginning. 

Both I and he were drenched in rainwater for almost the whole day. My hair which was almost dry inside the coffee shop again felt flat and sticky.

I was supposed to know all the details about the plan from Stiles on our way back to Beacon Hills, but we were so submerged in our own worlds that neither of us attempted to start and continue the conversation. 

And now? After that incident? It was impossible to even think of that conversation. It was too late anyway and Beacon Hills was just a few minutes away.

As usual, the setting usual, the setting was at the back seat while he was at the front, hands on the accelerators. 

"Stiles..." My voice trailed from behind him. I hadn't heard a word from him after our arguments. He had been quiet from that time. "..you didn't need to do that. You get that right?" I had probably used the same question on him like a million times from now.

"Do what Lydia? Paying back those cunts for what they did? They deserved more."

My mouth was buttoned with his aggressive side and so was my mind. There were countless reasons I could have spoken of, but what was the point? Only misunderstanding, which would lead to nothing but more squabbling amongst us, so I remained silent.

Time flew and so did our thoughts. 

Our journey beat the clock and I was back again in my home zone. We entered my neighborhood in Beacon Hills. It was a sweet feeling to get back to the place where I was raised. 

And finally, after the end of the long afternoon, the afternoon that felt like an eternity, a whole new lifetime, I could see my home. Sweet, sweet home.

Stiles slowed down the speed of the bike, and for some reason, I was still sitting on the bike for a good twenty seconds even when it stopped.

I was pressed up against his back, which had both of our nerves jittering. It was when Stiles awkwardly cleared his throat that I got off, however both, silent.

I went near him, saying, "Thank you for the ride." that was it, I could have definitely said something more meaningful, something to cheer him up but no! that was all my mouth allowed.

 "Stiles...It's still raining. You should either get to your house or go over to Scott's, soon, or you'll get a cold." those words flew out my mouth like nothing. I had plans for him tonight. I wanted him to stay at my house. I still did, but things turned otherways and god had made separate plans for us.

He nodded and I turned my face towards my house, ready to bid goodbye to him and go inside my house. 

Each step I took, made me rethink and regret something I could've done to make that moment a bit more special than it already was. I was feeling butterflies in my stomach punching me repeatedly and asking me to go back to him right now.

The clouds in the sky moaned loudly with sadness, personifying the inner childish version of ourselves, that still wanted to have fun with each other at the very moment.

"Just like Elsa said..."

My foot stopped at his voice. "..cold doesn't bother me anyway."

It was it. Stiles did what I couldn't to him, he cheered me up a little bit with his last joke of the day, even though I was the one who was supposed to comfort him. I understood that reference from 'Frozen' reference pretty well, so those words made me smirk a little.

But even after that, I couldn't step forward. My feet were glued to the front pavement of our house, even though I was getting wetter and grosser. 

What was it that felt so blank? Why didn't I want this day to end?

It definitely wasn't perfect, but something about that day was so purely magical that I couldn't express it in words or emotions.

I looked up at the sky, the only spectator who was watching us along day long. 

The dark, crepuscular clouds began to weep and cry in my fantasy, in my imagination. The raindrops, which felt like tears, began to pour more rapidly.

I closed my eyes to let the clouds let me know whether or not Stiles was facing me, I believed he was, even if didn't look at him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My face performed something my gut couldn't. 

I slowly felt my face turn back towards him, smiling. As the evening was on the way, The streetlights were on already before I realized. Stiles looked no less than the chocolate pastry I just had back in that cafe. Incredibly sweet and adorable at the same time. 

His cheeks were slightly red from the cold atmosphere, the winds made his hair a mess, that looked way sexier than usual, it turned silverish from the manipulative reflection of the streetlights and his caramel eyes were still full of life and sparkles, they were intriguing and magical and it was hard to look away from them once they met mine. 

 A part of me was begging my body to just run all the way back to him and lock my lips with him, forgetting all my worries.

I felt my leg slip on the pavement under the effect of the rain. I guess even the raindrops were pushing me to do what my mind was telling me to do. That was the jump-start I needed. Now that the engine was hot, my legs dashed towards him and he swiftly caught my body after I jumped on top of him in an accelerated run. 

Our lips crushed against one another's, those raindrops weren't just magical, they were divine. Each one washed away an unseen pain, a doubt, angst. For the time our lips were locked together in that rush of rain, the world itself ceased to exist, blurred and indistinct as an impressionist masterpiece. 

That kiss in the rain brought more warmth and shelter than Stiles' jacket ever could. The rain created a beat upon the blacktop sidewalk. People passed as if in accelerated motion - all except the two of us, who had let their umbrellas of doubts fall back to their minds and be blown by the wind of confidence. 

We were bound in a kiss that was so tender the world must've stopped on its axis and took notes of our love.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I opened my eyes back, with adrenaline flooding through my system. I was facing the door that read 'Martin's residence. 

I turned back in less than the blink of an eye, looking for Stiles but all I found was an empty road and the raindrops shedding its tears of grief on them. 

He was gone. This completely knocked my socks off. I was shocked. It was disbelieving. 

It was out of the blue, but it was what it was, it was the reality.

In the reality, we never had that moment. In reality, I didn't run back to him and we never kissed. It was just me facing the door, trying to think of what I could've done to make the day more special, to make it worth remembering.

---XXX---

A/N:

1. Please don't kill me.