10. Lady Irene

The Pack had been as friendly as Angelina had expected and she wasn't expecting much of a nice reception. Maybe she was a little senile agreeing to go outside. It was too much, too soon.

     The moment Riley led her outside, they eventually encountered a gaggle of women who had been in the midst of talking amongst themselves, laughing.

     It appeared to be the perfect gathering minus the fancy tea party set. She heard Riley mutter a filthy curse as the women paused in their stride and spotted her. They instantly approached Angelina and Riley with purpose. Angelina could feel their nosy stares aimed at her.

     She forced her wolf to calm, sensing their curiosity.

     "Oh Riley, it's nice to see you." The woman in front grinned coolly. Beside her, Angelina caught sight of the Pack's Healer, Tamsyn, who appeared wary upon approach. Tamsyn couldn't even meet Riley's gaze.

     Side by side, the older woman and healer looked like the 'before' and 'after' shots of each other. They had to be related. They shared the same stunning blue eyes the colour of mildew and strawberry blonde locks that fell in gentle cascades beyond the slight curve of their slim shoulders. Now that Angelina was paying attention, Tamsyn had a splash of golden freckles that decorated her cheeks. She was the definition of sweet and feminine.

     "Good to see you Irene. It's been a while." Riley responded happily although she sounded anything but.

     Irene perked a perfect brow, detecting the slight in the woman's voice. "And who do we have here? A human friend of yours?" She pointedly gestured to her.

     "Frankly none of your business."

     The woman narrowed her gaze. It was only a beat later that Angelina realised she had spoken the words aloud. Laughter bubbled in her throat, she barely kept it from bursting forth.

     "Excuse me?" The woman exclaimed, clearly affronted.

     Angelina sent Riley a look that hopefully portrayed the error of her ways before reluctantly facing the woman. "I'm Angelina Montgomery. Nice to meet you." She found some glimmer of satisfaction watching the woman's eyes flare wide with recognition. Oh, so the woman did know the Montgomery name. She could practically taste the bitterness from the aloof reception of the woman. It was probably the only time she found an inkling of usefulness baring her cursed name.

     Those cerulean eyes darkened with instant loathing, it startled her.

     Angelina couldn't ever remember meeting the woman.

     Had she personally offended her?

     "You're hiding a Montgomery here? Does the Alpha know about this?" The woman demanded, infuriated. Angelina knew instinctively that the woman was a hairs-breadth from stomping her foot on the ground like a tantrum riddled child.

     "The Alpha was the one who invited her here Irene. She stays in the Pack House with us." Riley surprised Angelina with the hint of protectiveness that lingered in her tone as she glared at the woman.

     Pure disbelief coated the older woman's features. "You're not serious. Why would he do that?"

     The question wasn't met with a response.

     "Mother, let's leave-"

     "No Tamsyn. The Alpha shouldn't have brought a Montgomery here, especially in front of you. That's disrespectful."

     "Mother, we've already gone over this. The Alpha and I are not together anymore-"

     "That's because he'll be marrying this thing!"