Chapter 64

Luke was angry that no one told him what the Soul Sword could do.

But after some heavy reasoning from Serena, Luke calmed, having told them that Valentine had Cleophas and in turn, they told him about the vision Ithuriel had shown them.

Serena was always going to tell the Downworlders of the Sword. They had a right to know that they were fighting for their lives. She just hadn't had a chance to tell them considering that the second she got back from the Citadel, she'd been faced with one problem after another and hadn't had a chance.

And while Luke had believed her and set out to try and track Valentine, Izzy had found a vampire to bite her. 

It took convincing and coercing but Raphael did it in the end. 

Alec, clueless to what his sister was doing, had been both impressed and worried when Serena told him what happened. He had believed her instantly and was even more inclined to do so when they watched a video of Ithuriel shooting for the heavens on their surveillance feed.

"You said that was the angel?" Alec asked as he paused the video, a golden blur on the screen.

"That was Ithuriel," Serena confirmed.

"Or it could've been a shooting star," Izzy piped up.

"Going from the ground to the sky?" Serena questioned, a little hurt that her parabatai didn't believe her.

"Are you saying you don't believe them?" Alec asked his sister.

"No. I'm just saying that no one's seen an Angel for hundreds of years."

That was fair to be a bit sceptical, but that didn't mean Serena was lying. She really needed to talk with Izzy.

"Hey guys!" came a voice and the Lightwood trio turned to see Max as he ran in.

"Hey, buddy how are you doing?" asked Alec as Serena bent down for him to run into her arms, squeezing him tight, Izzy soon joining the hug.

"Max! I missed you so much," Izzy cooed as they broke apart.

"That makes two of us," Serena said as they all pulled away and Max put a hand on her cheek.

"I'm glad you're ok," he said, and she smiled at him, pressing a kiss to his cheek.

"Hey, I thought we had this discussion? She's mine," Alec said jealously as he pulled Serena to stand up next to him, an arm over her shoulders as Izzy and Max laughed.

"Well, I'm cuter," Max stated and Serena dropped back down to his side, her arm around his waist as his went around her neck.

"He's kinda got you there, baby," she smiled as Max pressed a kiss to her cheek and Alec scoffed in disbelief.

"What are you doing here?" Izzy asked with a smile and Maryse came forward, smiling at her children.

"Alec. Isabelle. Serena," she said in greeting and they gave her small smiles.

"Hi, Mom," Alec greeted as he moved to hug her, Serena and Izzy soon following suit.

"It's good to see all of you," Maryse smiled. "Max has some big news. Tell them, sweetheart," she said to her youngest child.

"I passed my last trial. I'm ready for my Rune Ceremony," the boy grinned proudly.

"Congratulations," Alec smiled.

"Good job," Serena cheered.

"So that means you finally perfected your roundhouse kick?" Izzy asked with an impressed smile.

"Yeah, and I knocked out two different instructors," Max smirked and double fist-bumped Izzy as Alec's arm settled around Serena's waist.

"Sadly, your father won't be able to attend," Maryse said. "So, Alec, as the eldest male in the family, you will be in charge of Max's ceremonial party."

"What do you mean he won't be there?" Alec asked, confused as Maryse placed her hands on Max's shoulders.

Maryse gave a tight smile, and her children instantly knew that whatever came out of her mouth next was either a lie or not the whole truth.

"He's tied up with the Valentine task force in Idris."

"I can't believe Dad would miss this," Izzy said in disbelief.

"He doesn't have a choice. We're all on high alert, especially after what that demon did to all of you...and Jocelyn," Maryse said softly, looking to Alec as Serena side hugged him, whispering words of comfort in his ear as she stood on her toes. She was a big help in fighting his guilt that was still very much there.

"I was surprised not to see you at the Rite of Mourning. Dad wrote to see how we were," Izzy said before storming off.

"Isabelle," Maryse called as she began to go after her, but Serena grabbed her arm.

"It's not your fault Mom. She's been acting really odd lately."

Maryse squeezed Serena's hand in thanks before chasing after Izzy.

The couple then turned to Max who pouted and said, "I thought we came here to get away from the fighting."

Serena knelt on the ground.

"Mom and Dad are still fighting huh?" she asked.

"Yeah. But they put soundless runes everywhere so I can't hear them."

"I know what will cheer you up," Serena said as she raised his chin with her finger. "How about, we prank Alec by hiding all his stuff, starting with his bow and arrows?"

"Hey!" Alec protested.

A huge smile spread on Max's face as he jumped on Serena's back and they began running through the Institute, Alec chasing after them as he chastised them.