Accident || 11

"Don't worry, you're a strong boy." Jimin assured the kid with a smile, "Its just a small procedure, then you'd be perfectly fine."

"Can I- Can I see my Dad?" The boy mumbled with teary eyes. Jimin nodded and gestured the nurses to let the child's father in before they start the surgery.

He could feel the boy trembling due to fear. He was just six and this was his third surgery, the final one though. He was four, when Jimin got his case and successfully performed the two initial surgeries and now the third one was to be done. Then he, Jihun, will be able to go back home.

Jimin stepped back letting the father and the son have their moment while engaging himself in rechecking all the things with his co-sergeons.

"Sir, please you have to go now." One of the nurses voiced politely after getting a signal from the doctors.

"Its alright champ, I'm waiting right outside your room okay?" The father said, slowly pulling his hand back from Jihun and kissing his forehead before looking at Jimin with pleading and hopeful eyes. Jimin nodded in assurance and gestured his hand towards the door.

"Easy okay? Relax. We're all here and your Dad is outside." Jimin said talking to the boy while the nurse prepared the dose of anesthesia. "I promise, it won't hurt."

"What if... What if it does?" Jihun asked.

"Hmm, well then you can tell us and we'll make sure that it doesn't hurt you." He smiled and rubbed the spot on the boy's arm before injecting the anesthetic drug in. "Jihun, will you please count backwards from 10 for us?"

The kid nodded, "10... 9... 8" and so on, until 5 his pace became slow and completely fainted off near 3. The doctors nodded knowing the injection worked and they can start their work.

Even though they knew that the surgery wasn't that risky, but the fact that the patient was just a six year-old boy made it a bit scary. Jimin had known the boy for almost two years now, and knew how much his recovery meant for his family, and now that their son was undergoing the full and final stage of his treatment, it was indeed special, even for his doctors who have been working on him since they diagnosed him with a cardiac defect.

Everything went smoothly as Jimin had expected. He walked out of the Operating room after taking off his mask and the green sergical gown.

"Doctor! My son, he's-"

"He's fine." Jimin said, "Congratulations, your son is completely fine, the surgery is a success."

"Thank you doctor, thank you so much for saving my son..." The father trailed off, gripping Jimin's hands tightly.

"That's my job Mr Lee." He smiled, and called for a ward boy, "Get a glass water for him." He ordered and gestured Jihun's father to sit.

"I'll take my leave now. You can see Jihun, once the nurses are done with a few tests."

"Once again, thanks a lot Doctor." The man smiled thankfully.

Jimin smiled back and turned on heels walking to his personal cabin. Seeing patients' families happy after a successful surgery really boosted him up. Those innocent smiles and happy tears was what he worked for. Being a cardiologist, he thought, was one of his best decisions.

Jimin dried off his hands and face with the small towel hanging near the sink before coming back in his office and closing the door behind him. Since there was only one surgery, he was done for today unless an emergency case pops up, he decided to go home and spend some time with his sister who had a sulky pout in the morning on hearing the news of that he had to go to the hospital today.