One

Sirens wailed. A little boy sobbed, confused and alone. He watched as their home crumbled under the fire, hoping his teddy bears would be okay.

A police officer grabbed him by the shoulder. "I'm sorry, son." He didn't know why he was sorry, he just wanted his mum and dad. Where were they?

Why did they leave him all alone?

My eyes jerked open, spilling over with tears. "Fuck," I muttered, wiping them away. I looked around the familiar living room of Karl's house, neat and tidy as always. My back hurt a little from sleeping in a weird position, I should've taken the couch cushions off before lying down.

I heard Karl in the kitchen, frying something, probably eggs. I reluctantly got off the couch, stretching my back, and made my way over. Karl noticed me, and grinned.

"Morning! How do you like your eggs?"

"Anything is fine, maybe over easy?" George yawned. It was always a pleasure waking up to Karl's optimistic voice.

When I stayed at Alex's house, he woke me up with loud music and yelling, usually at his cat in Spanish. Don't get me wrong, Alex was great, but I savoured these quiet mornings with Karl. They made me feel at home.

He handed me a plate, and I thanked him. "My parents got a new schedule, they work early morning shifts at the hospital now."

I nodded, taking a bite of my eggs. I reckoned Karl got his loving nature from his parents, who were both doctors.

I glanced at the clock. Five minutes until we had to leave. I didn't need to change, because I slept in my day clothes, but I should brush my teeth at least. Karl even had a separate toothbrush in his bathroom for me because I came over so often.

I grabbed it and squeezed some toothpaste on, thinking about how I could do more for Karl. He knew I was homeless, and so he was extra welcoming and never hesitated to help me. I felt bad, because I didn't have a job, or any way to pay him back. I really wanted to get one, but you needed an address, and I wasn't about to leech off of Karl even more.

I finished up, and went to meet Karl at the front. We grabbed our bags, and starting walking to school.