Three

Alex was screaming, and I was frantically trying to put out the fire, whacking the pan with a towel. I think Nick was in the bathroom.

The blonde boy, whose name I learned was Clay, was trying to get the teacher's attention. I'd quickly learned that he was the teacher's favourite, and he had the smallest chance of getting in trouble.

We'd worked as a team of four to make a cake, but we must've forgotten something because our cake lit on fire in the oven. Alex was half-laughing and half-panicking, and definitely not helping at all.

Finally, the fire went out, with one hard wack from my towel. I sighed, leaning back onto the counter. So much for eating a yummy cake, it was covered in black smoke now.

The teacher came over, face red and furious. "Do you guys understand how dangerous that was? You also could've ruined the school's oven! Detention, all of you!"

By this time, Nick was back, looking confused and rather scared.

"Nick and I have basketball after school," Alex piped up. "It's a game, our coach wouldn't be happy."

The teacher sighed, rubbing the bridge of his nose. "Fine. But George and Clay, you have to stay."

I groaned. I decided to text Karl, saying I didn't need to stay at his place tonight. I'd already been there for two days, and any longer than that made me feel like I was intruding.

Alex would be busy with his game, and Bad's parents were too strict to let friends sleep over. I glanced outside, it was sunny today. Hopefully, it would be warm out tonight. I'd find a building vent to lean against, or something.

We spent the rest of class cleaning up the mess. Apparently, the cake had spilled over the edges of the pan, causing a fire. I blamed Alex for going crazy with the milk, refusing to measure it.

The bell rang, and I was left in the classroom with Clay. The foods teacher motioned to two of the desks at the back of the class, usually just there for students in trouble or needing a break.

"Go do homework or something, I'll come back in an hour to unlock the door." He left, and I walked over, sitting my bag down underneath and pulling out some math homework.

If I was stuck here for an hour, I might as well make the most of it, I guess.