Part 41

"I thought you were joking," Conrad frowns, staring down at the heap of white on the bed in front of her.

"I wish I was joking. Put it on; she won't eat her dinner if you don't," Carlos warns her, tying his tie.

He's wearing an all-black suit, a black shirt, and a white tie, which stands out a lot.

As it should, I spent an hour trying to bleach the stains out of that thing, Conrad grumbles to Jane, who agrees.

"It's like a wedding dress," Conrad groans, and Carlos raises an eyebrow.

"This is the best I could do. She wanted you to look like a baby ballroom dancer; this is a big improvement," Carlos comments.

Conrad snatches up the dress, sliding it over her head.

She sighs with relief when she can't see her strapless bra above the neckline because she didn't fancy trying to survive the night with a hyperactive child without one.

Conrad walks over to the mirror, adjusting the dress as she walks.

It's almost floor-length, and the pointed fronts of her heels are the only things that peek out.

The neckline is square, and the straps aren't too thin, but the material feels nice. There aren't any embellishments on it, which she's thankful for. Her prom dress had thousands of gems and beads on it, and she's never forgotten the weight of that dress.

It hugs her curves, and she sort of loves it, which surprises her. It looked slightly awful laying on the bed, but on her, it's impressive.

"Gorgeous," Carlos declares, spinning her around.

"Hey, I have to finish my makeup," she tuts, wiggling away from him as she peers at the mirror, powder brush in hand as she taps at her face.

"It doesn't even look like you're wearing any," he states, and one look from her makes him realise what he said.

"I only mean because you're always gorgeous. Makeup only enhances your angelic features," he smiles, sitting on the bed as he ties his dress shoes.

"Rina will be wearing white, too?" Conrad asks, lining her lips with a red liner.

She's feeling brave, because she's notorious for destroying white clothing.

Red lipstick on white fabric is practically an accident waiting to happen with her.

"Yeah, she has a gorgeous puffy dress. The nanny who's collecting her is going to have her change before they meet us," he informs her.

Conrad finishes her makeup with a final swish of blood-red lipstick, and she steps back to look at her whole outfit.

She has red heels on with the white dress, and she momentarily considers changing them.

The clutch she has all of her stuff in is red, and it all matches her lipstick; she used to wear this set out all the time in the human world, especially to corporate dinners.

Speaking of corporate dinners, she remembers that she has to reply to Derek.

He sent her a message last night, and she had meant to reply to it, but her day had managed to get away from her.

"Are you excited?" Carlos asks, taking his shirt off the hanger.

"Yeah, I have the books in my night bag," Conrad replies distractedly, staring down at her phone.

'Hey Con, just wanted to check in! I saw you have all of your presentations up to date, and I was wondering if you could possibly get into the city next week for the quarterly meeting. No worries if not, I'll connect you virtually!'