FORTY-ONE

══════════════════

══════════════════

"Aspen!"

I lean my head against Nick's car, the cool metal tingling on my head, melting my anger away. The fresh, crisp air enters my lungs, travels around my blood until it reaches my brain and undoes the anger, removing the memory of my mother's disgusting accusation.

"Let's get home, come on." Nick sighs as his hand rests on my shoulder.

He unlocks the car, and I silently get in. I notice his pursed lips and the way he heaves a silent sigh as he does his seatbelt up. He starts the car, immediately turns the radio off, and I stare out of the window.

I want to tell him what she said wasn't true, that I'm not with him simply because of Gabriel. I'd like to think he knows that anyway, but I can tell it's shaken him just like it has me.

He clicks a few buttons on the dashboard until I hear the phone ringing.

"Nick?"

"Hey, Cara, look, I know I was due in this afternoon, but I've just come from my girlfriend's family funeral, and well, she's not handling it well," Nick explains.

He's told people about me. I assume he's left out the information about how we met.

"It's all good, Nick. I thought it might happen, so I roped in Emily to come in as well. Go be with her. Do you need tomorrow as well?" she asks.

He glances at me. I don't say or give him anything. It's not my place.

"Yeah, is that all right?"

"Of course, I'll see you Monday. You have the weekend off anyway, so have the next three days. Wish her well from us, or you know, condolences," Cara says.

"Will do, thanks. See you Monday," Nick says. They both say goodbye before he hangs up.

Silence is a very underrated thing. It can tell you so much about the current situation and the feelings of the people involved. Right now, it's telling me that Nick and I need to discuss the shit my mother spouted in front of my dead husband's wake.

Ex-husband? Late-husband? Husband? I don't even know what Joel is, or was, anymore. We need to discuss the fact that we both know Monica heard about Nick being Gabriel's adopted brother. I didn't even look at her, but I know everyone heard it; she was loud enough.

The silence is telling me that he knows I'm worried about what he thinks of me. But it's also very telling that he isn't addressing it right now.

I stare at my phone. Five missed calls from my dad, a message asking me to call him when I'm free. A message from Summer asking if I'm okay. A message from Monica: 'Don't let her get to you. Monica.'