17. You Are Firewhisky

Christmas Day 1998

"Are you coming to the Burrow with us, Elle?" Fleur asked as Eloise trudged into the kitchen, still wearing her pajamas beneath her robe and letting out a big yawn. She was up late wrapping gifts at the last minute and it was quite obvious by the sleepy look in her eyes and the frizzy curls on her head going in every direction that she hadn't fully woken up yet.

She shook her head, partially to deny their invitation and partially to shake herself awake, "I was planning on taking the Floo Network to my parent's house, actually. I suppose I forgot to mention it."

"Surely you could stop by for a little while. I know mum would be thrilled to see you, and George as well." Bill said as he shot a knowing wink at her.

Eloise was much too tired to humor Bill with a reaction, clearly Fleur had rubbing off on him, "No, I told mum and dad I'd be there for brunch. But I do have gifts for everyone I want you to take. I'll be right back."

Bill and Fleur shot a look at one another as Eloise sleepily climbed the stairs again and made her way to her bedroom. She had delicately wrapped everyone's gifts with paper in colors she felt reminded her of them. Molly's was wrapped in a deep plum color just like her birthday gift, Percy's was in a sleek grey, Charlie's in an emerald green, Ginny's in a fiery crimson, and so on for the rest of the Weasleys, even Harry and Hermione had their own uniquely wrapped gifts. The only unwrapped gift was George's, but what she was giving him didn't make much sense to wrap.

Knowing the box would be much too heavy to carry with her arms, she reached for her wand that was laying on the side table and gave it a quick flick to levitate the box off the ground. She lazily walked back out into the hallway and down the stairs before floating the box to the kitchen island in front of Bill and Fleur.

Within the box of gifts Eloise had set in front of the couple laid an empty firewhisky bottle with a roll of parchment stuck inside, much like a message in the bottle one would be excited to find washed up on the beach. Though, compared to all the colorful and perfectly wrapped presents, the bottle stood out as odd to even the most unperceptive eyes.

"What are you up to, Elle?" Fleur asked quizzically as she eyed the bottle.

"What do you mean?"

Fleur bent over slightly and grabbed the bottle from the box, holding it up to the blonde in front of her who seemed quite confused by her question.

"What's this?"

"George's gift." Eloise replied in a serious tone.

"Is it a joke?"

"Yes and no." she answered as she tilted her head to the side with a slight smirk.

"Why are you giving him an empty bottle for Christmas?" Bill asked.

"It's not empty, there's a message inside!" Eloise pointed out, as if it all should have been obvious to the couple.

"Why couldn't you owl him a Christmas card instead of giving it to him in a bottle?" Fleur interjected.

"Because it's not a Christmas card." Eloise replied impatiently, she was not prepared for an early morning interrogation, much less on Christmas Day.

"So what is it then?" Bill raised his eyebrow at her.

"I can't tell you that." she shook her head with an innocent smile on her face.

"You're giving him a message in a bottle for Christmas then." Bill said with a raised eyebrow.