Twenty-two

He ran over and grabbed me, pulling me into his chest. "I'm so sorry, I was so insensitive about your situation, and I didn't even think about your feelings. I'm not even mad, yo-"

"Oh my god, no," I interrupted him. "I overreacted, I was acting so stupid and immature. I didn't even let you talk, I just assumed that you'd-"

He grabbed me again, hugging me. "I'm not making you go back to foster care, and my parents aren't either."

I relaxed, relieved, wrapping my arms around him too. He let go, and gripped my shoulders firmly. "Okay listen to me, and don't freak out."

I felt my heat rate increase, but nodded anyways.

"We still aren't letting you sleep in the streets all alone," he said, and I tensed up. "But you don't turn 18 for almost a whole year, since your birthday is so late. Until then, you're living with me."

I blinked. "Wait, what?"

"You're moving in with my family," Clay said, and my eyes widened.

"What? That's too much, I can't do that! I don't have any way to pay you, I-"

"You don't need to pay us," Clay laughed. "It's fine, George. They've already signed the papers, so they're your legal guardians now."

I felt excitement bubbling up inside me, at the thought of living with Clay. But still, it didn't feel right to intrude on their family like that.

"I'll get a part time job, and at least pay them however much rent costs, at the minimum."

Clay shook his head. "Get a job if you want, but they're rich anyways, they don't need any more money."

I let it all sink in, and felt my eyes well up again. How many times had I cried in the past 24 hours?

I hugged Clay, sobbing with relief. "Thank you," I sniffed. "Thank you so much, I don't know how to repay you."

"Your company is enough," he smiled, and kissed my forehead.

"Actually, I know how you can repay me. Buy me a Kit Kat," he laughed.

I giggled back. "Only if you buy me a Mars bar."

"Deal."

I heard movement at the door, and Karl hushing somebody. I went over and opened it, and Alex, Nick and Karl all tumbled over each other.

"I told you guys you'd get caught," Bad called from the kitchen.

"But they're so cute together," Karl whined, and I laughed, embarrassed.

It seemed like things were going to be okay.