Chapter 10: Lectures

It did not take too long for the company to pass through the thin cracks of the mountain. Kili and Fili aided Amanda through them as she could nearly stand up from lack of strength. They stopped on a landing and looked out. The most beautiful house Amanda had ever seen lay before her, built around the mountain face with waterfalls. The house seemed to glow brightly in the light.

"The Valley of Imraldis. In the Common Tongue, it's known by a another name." Gandalf said softly with a smile. Amanda had her arms around Kili and Fili as they held her up looking out.

"Rivendell." Bilbo muttered in awe at the beauty before them.

"Here lies the last Homely House east of the sea." Gandalf finished as they continued to marvel at the scene.

" The books do not so it justice." Amanda muttered looking down to the house.

" It is beautiful." Fili whispered in awe.

"This was your plan all along, to seek refuge with our enemy." Thorin growled to Gandalf as he turned his head to look at the tall wizard.

"You have no enemies here, Thorin Oakenshield. The only ill-will to be found in this valley is that which you bring yourself." Gandalf said annoyed at him.

"You think the Elves will give our quest their blessing? They will try to stop us." Thorin said defending his point.

"Of course they will. But we have questions that need to be answered." Amanda muttered to him with a soft smile.

" If we are to be successful, this will need to be handled with tact and respect and no small degree of charm. Which is why you will leave the talking to me." Gandalf finished with a look of pride over his face. Amanda rolled her eyes softly old wizard and looked to Kili as he and Fili helped her walk to Rivendell. They cross the bridge and Amanda could feel the Durin brothers on either side of her tense the closer they got.

" Boys, calm down. The Elves will not harm us." Amanda whispered to them, their shoulders relaxed slightly but not enough for her as she sighed heavily in frustration. They all stood in the elven court as they looked around. A dark haired elf slowly and gracefully walked down the set of stairs in front of the company.

"Mithrandir." He spoke with an elegant voice that made Amanda smile softly.

"Ah, Lindir!" Gandalf smiled to him as they greeted each other. Thorin turned his head slightly to behind him.

"Stay sharp." He whispered lowly to them all. Amanda rolled her eyes at his dislike and distrust of the elves.

" They will not harm their guests in their home." Amanda growled weakly to him as he sent her a glare which she only returned.

"Lastannem i athrannedh i Vruinen. [We heard you had crossed into the Valley.]" Lindir spoke to Gandalf in the graceful tongue of the elves.

"I must speak with Lord Elrond." Gandalf told him in a rush. Lindir look like he was about to break bad news to an unsuspecting family.

"My lord Elrond is not here." Lindir broke to him. Gandalf sighed and his shoulders slumped slightly in defeat.

"Not here? Where is he?" Gandalf asked. Lindir opened his mouth to speak but the sounding of an elven horn stop him. Everyone turned to see a group of elves on horseback ride over the bridge and encircle the company of dwarves, a hobbit and a young woman.

"Ifridî bekâr! [Ready weapons!'] Hold ranks!" Thorin yelled as the dwarves took out their weapons. Kili and Fili pushed Amanda onto Bilbo as they pushed the two into the centre and guarded them from the elves. The Elves slowed to a stop and one pulled away from the group.

"Gandalf." He called as he stopped next to the old wizard. Gandalf bowed gently and rose looking to the elf.

"Lord Elrond. Mellonnen! Mo evínedh? [ My friend! Where have you been?]" Gandalf asked him with joy in his words.

"Farannem 'lamhoth i udul o charad. Dagannem rim na Iant Vedui. [subtitle: We've been hunting a pack of Orcs that came up from the South. We slew a number near the Hidden Pass.]" Elrond spoke as he dismounted his horse and then pulled Gandalf into a hug.

"Strange for Orcs to come so close to our borders. Something, or someone, has drawn them near." Elrond told him with suspicion as he looked at an Orc sword he had in his hand. Then handing it off to Lindir as Gandalf sighed.

"Ah, that may have been us." Gandalf said with a sorry tone. Thorin stepped forward, tired of the converstion that he thought was going no where.

"Welcome Thorin, son of Thrain." Erlond spoke with a nodded of his head. Extending his welcome to the dwarven Prince.

"I do not believe we have met." Thorin growled to him as Amanda shook her head.

"You have your grandfather's bearing. I knew Thror when he ruled under the Mountain." Elrond told him with pride for his Grandfather.

"Indeed; he made no mention of you." Thorin insulted the Lord of the House.

" Thorin!" Amanda growled loudly at him, disgusted by his words.

" What?" He growled back to her.

" That was a very horrible thing to say. The Lord Elrond was being kind. I do not care about your stupid old quarry with the elves. The gives you no reason to bite the hand that feeds." Amanda growled to him with a glare as he stepped over to her.

" I will not be lectured by a woman!" Thorin hissed lowly to her.

" You will bite your tongue and take a lecture when it is given." Amanda snapped at him. Thorin was about to speak but Elrond bet him to it.

" What is your name?" Elrond asked a bit star struck while looking at her. Amanda looked to the Lord Elf and bowed her head slightly.

" Amanda, my Lord." She spoke softly. Elrond walked over and bent down onto one knee.

" It cannot be..." He whispered to her as his head turned to Gandalf.

" Did you know?" He asked him as Gandalf looked to him confused.

" About what?" He asked him. Elrond sighed and looked back to Amanda.

" It is an honor to have you within my house, Lady Amanda." Elrond bowed to her as everyone looked as the Elves around them had dismounted and bowed to her. She looked around slightly scared at the actions. The Dwarves looked around confused. Elrond stood and looked to her.

" And the reason for bowing?" Amanda asked stunned, looking up at the very tall Elf.

" Do you not know?" He asked confused to her. Amanda shook her head.

" My Lady. You are part of a race that disappear many of autumn moons ago. You and your race is that of the highest in Middle Earth. Royalty for the most part." Elrond explained to her.

" And what race would that be?" Kili asked stunned just like Amanda, who could not speak.

" The Dragonborn." Elrond spoke to them as Gandalf huffed loudly.

" How did I miss that?" Gandalf asked surprised and disappointed at himself.

"Nartho i noer, toltho i viruvor. Boe i annam vann a nethail vin. [ Light the fires, bring forth the wine. We must feed our guests.]" Elrond spoke as some elves nodded bowed and left.

"What is he saying? Does he offer us insult?" Gloin growled as the others began to growled back as well. Gandalf sighed and stepped forward to the Dwarves.

"No, master Gloin, he's offering you food." He towered over them as they turned and conversed quickly before turning back. 

"Ah well, in that case, lead on." He said as Amanda rolled her eyes at them. Dwarves, food and gold.

" My Lady. Come, let us give you some fresh clothes?" Elrond asked as she nodded. Kili grabbed her wrist, not wanting for her too leave his side in the elven realm.

" Kili, I will fine." She muttered to him as she gave him a soft reassuring smile and nod before leaving his warm grasp. She then followed Elrond up the stair, stopping to look back at Kili who was watching her with worry.