Chapter 4

The day flew by and Estelle is now alone watching the stars from the balcony of the bedroom. She's deep in thought, trying to digest everything that's happening to her.

I got isekai-ed 17 years into the past from the events in the novel My Beloved Prince. I'm married to the story's villain. I'm going to be executed in the near future because the people of this world will think I'm a witch.

Another thing that's making her very worried, aside from her future execution, is the Duke. She has a weird premonition that he'll find out she's not really from this world and she has replaced the real Estelle. She knows that in the novel Duke Nikolaidis really loved his wife which is why her death turned him into an evil man.

If he finds out she's not the woman he loves he might divorce her, kick her out of the castle, or, worse, kill her. Is divorce a thing in this world? That topic wasn't ever mentioned in the novel. The novel also didn't say why his wife got killed for being a witch. What would be the best course of action so I can survive and not get executed?

She wants to write down the things she knows about the story to give herself a little clarity on her predicament but that would be too risky. Someone might discover her writing weird stuff and use it as evidence against her.

The most important thing I have to do right now is to get accustomed to the ways of this world so no one will suspect me. Next is to figure out my relationship with the Duke so he won't do anything that might harm me.

Apparently, on their wedding night he had to immediately leave on a mission ordered by Emperor Maghnus. Duke Nikolaidis needed to subdue a rebellion in a town along the western border. The place is said to be a mining town that's a significant source of precious minerals for the Empire.

She forgot to ask Abenant when the duke would be coming back. I guess that'll have to wait until tomorrow. She takes a deep breath and exhales slowly, trying to calm herself down.

Being in this new world, I feel so alone and afraid. I wonder how my friends Trisha and Michelle are doing. Was I the only one who got hit by the truck? My mom and dad too, I wonder if they know that I got into an accident. Do they all believe I'm dead?

She closes her eyes and thinks of her parent's faces. She remembers their smiles during the meal they shared the last time she went back to her hometown. Mom, Papa... I miss you.

A tear escapes from her closed eyes. She's startled when she feels a rough but warm hand gently wiping away her teardrop. She opens her eyes causing more tears to flow. Her breath gets caught in her throat as she sees who's with her.

Why is Duke Nikolaidis suddenly here?!

The painting could only capture half the beauty of the person standing beside her. How can a man be this beautiful? His gaze alone is making Estelle's heart melt. She thought she would be afraid when she'll face him in person. But seeing him now, she can only feel awestruck at how breathtaking he looks. The book never said that the villain was handsome!

Nikolaidis closes the space between them and embraces her. He cradles her head in one hand while his other wraps on her delicate waist. Estelle doesn't understand why but this makes her cry even more. She buries her head in his firm chest. His scent enveloping her; pine and leather. He rubs her back as she lets her fear and loneliness get washed away with her tears.

~~▪~~ ~~▪~~ ~~▪~~ ~~▪~~ ~~▪~~

As soon as day broke, Nikolaidis awakens. He's very surprised he managed to sleep. He's been suffering from insomnia for years now. It's a side effect of spending almost half his life in battlefields.

But last night, after carrying Estelle to bed, he felt like he could put his guard down. He recalls thinking of resting for a couple of minutes before going to his office to listen to Abenant's report. The head butler mentioned that he needed to explain something important to the Duke. However, as soon as Nikolaidis eyes closed, he fell asleep.

He was supposed to send a messenger hawk to Blanchard Castle a few days before he and his troops would begin their journey back to the Duchy. But all their messenger hawks were either injured or dead. The servants were very surprised, especially Abenant, when he arrived unannounced last night. Abenant is a man obsessed with schedules so the Duke's unexpected return was extremely stressful for him.

He turns to his side and sees Estelle sleeping soundly beside him. He feels it again, a tugging pulse within him that makes him want to act strangely. He wants to go closer to her and have her sleep in his arms. It's the same throbbing in his body that made him embrace her last night - something he had never done to anyone before.

The first instance he had this foreign feeling was when he saw Estelle the first time two years ago. It was at Crown Prince Henrik's wedding. He remembers she wore a flowing yellow gown that complemented her eyes. He thinks her eyes look like pools of pure golden honey. The moment he saw her, the strange thumping began. He wanted to ask Estelle for a dance but he didn't.

Nikolaidis knew he wasn't worthy of even going close to her. She was Marquess Gautier Beauvoir's daughter. Their family is one of the richest and most influential noble houses in the Empire because they own large fertile farmlands and orchards. Meanwhile, he's just a knight and a low-ranking noble from a fallen house. He owns no land nor any territory.

However, a year ago, when the last noble from the dwindling Blanchard House died, Emperor Maghnus bestowed the title of Duke of Blanchard to Nikolaidis as a reward for winning countless of wars for the Ghesquire Empire. But along with this, the Emperor also ordered him to convince Marquess Gautier to let him marry their family's only daughter. It was a move to keep the Beauvoir House from gaining even more power through a political marriage. It was the first time Nikolaidis actually felt pleased to follow the Emperor's command.

He found out Estelle was already 23, the same age as him. It's rare for a noblewoman, especially from such a great family, to be unmarried beyond her twenties. He then discovered that her father didn't want her to have an arranged marriage. The Marquess wanted his daughter to marry a man that she loved and live a happy married life. When he learned this, Nikolaidis wanted to give up. He believed he couldn't gain Estelle's affections. There was nothing attractive about him and he knew nothing about wooing a lady.

However, Nikolaidis is not one to give up without trying. He asked for a private audience with Marquess Gautier. It was the most intense and nerve-wracking moment of his life. He's fought all kinds of enemies and monsters before but he was never afraid of them. It was only during that day he set foot in the Beauvoir Castle that he felt terrified. 

He didn't know why he was so scared. Was I fearful of failing the emperor's order? Or was I frightened of the possibility of not being able to marry Estelle?

"Why should I let you marry my daughter?" Marquess Gautier's words were intimidating.

Nikolaidis looked at the Marquess straight in the eye, "I promise to do everything to make your daughter happy."

Marquess Gautier stared at the new Duke with scrutiny for what felt like hours. Nikolaidis didn't know what the Marquess saw in him but the older man agreed on one grave condition, "if my daughter is unhappy, you must kill yourself so she can remarry."

Remembering her cry so sorrowfully last night, the promise he kept to the Marquess rang in his mind. Nikolaidis really didn't want to leave Estelle during their wedding night. It wasn't right for the groom to leave his wife on their first day together. They weren't even able to consummate their marriage. But the Emperor gave him unexpected orders to immediately depart to the western border. The Emperor's orders are absolute because Nikolaidis made a vow as a knight to serve Emperor Maghnus.

When Nikolaidis lost his family during the plague 12 years ago, the only honorable purpose that he could think of was serving the empire. He thought protecting and serving the people of his homeland would be the best way to make use of his meager life. In all his years as a knight, he never once hesitated to obey what the Emperor commanded.

But that night he almost wanted to refuse. It didn't feel right for him to leave his wife right after their wedding. However, he has to do his duty as a subject of the Emperor. So, he left without saying a word to Estelle. He was afraid that seeing her face would make him want to stay.

He left her for 4 months and the moment he comes back he sees her weeping alone in the dark. Was it because she was lonely? Did something upset her?

Why were you crying Estelle? I have to keep my promise to your father. I want to honor it. I wish to make you happy Estelle.