Chapter Eighty Two

A/N: For some reason, I'm struggling writing the chapters to correspond with the most recent episode. I'm hoping the next episode will be slightly easier to write around. I've seen questions asking what's next with this book or if I'll continue it after the last episode. Honestly, I don't know. This book is almost a hundred chapters which is quite a lot. A lot of what I decide to do will just depend on the last episode. I have a few ideas though. I'm currently writing my next story though and I'm so excited. It's a Steve Rogers story and it's quite different from this one. So, stick around if you're interested in a Steve centered story. Thank you for reading!

Catherine hadn't stepped foot in Sokovia since the Ultron incident. She wouldn't lie, it felt strange. While they saved a lot of lives that day, many people also lost their lives. She didn't know how Bucky knew Zemo would be here. Perhaps it was intuition. She did know that the Wakadans were not far behind them. While Zemo had given them an advantage, he was still a criminal and needed to be put back in prison.

It was an almost eerie feeling as they approached the memorial. It was there because of her, because of the Avengers. A rush of memories hit her. The mass evacuation. Fighting Ultron's army. The whole damn city being shot up into the sky and then crashing back down. Pietro. She remembered Wanda's face and she had discovered her brother was dead. It was a feeling she never wanted to experience and then she did years later.

She saw Zemo standing in front of the memorial, gazing upwards at it. It almost felt like she imposing on him.

"Do you want me to come with you?" Catherine asked. "Or is this something you would like to do on your own?"

Bucky was quiet and then she noticed the gun in his hand. Fuck. She fought to think of the right words to say to Bucky, to not convince him to do this. It wasn't in his nature. He looked down at the gun and the back at her. "I'm not going to kill him, I promise. I just want to talk. I think this is something I need to do on my own though."

She had to admit, she was proud of him, even if he was going to point an unloaded gun at Zemo's head. It was the fact that he trusted himself enough. She stood back from him trying her best not to react when he pulled the trigger and nothing happened or when he dropped the bullets out of his hand or when the Dora Milaje arrested Zemo. As Zemo walked by, she didn't say a word. She just nodded her head as a thank you for his help.

She turned around and went to walk towards Bucky. "You good?"

"Better. Much better." Bucky admitted.

Catherine smiled at him and took his hand in her's. She looked at the memorial, studying it carefully. She was the only Avenger to ever visit it, well that she knew. She was sure Wanda had seen it. She rolled a loose pebble with her foot, trying to contain herself. "We tried...we tried to save them all. Ultron's army, it greatly outnumbered us. I know people died in all of our fights, but it felt nice to do something good in my life. It was nice to help people. And those damn accords. Part of me wanted to sign it, part of me didn't. In the end, I did."

"I'm sure you all did the best you could. That's all we can do sometimes." Bucky attempted to comfort her. "I had an idea."

"Okay?" Catherine asked.

"Sam, he needs some help fixing his family's boat and I wanted to help him. Maybe we could get Happy to fly William down to New Orleans so we could see him and help Sam." He suggested.

She smiled up at him. "That sounds like a great idea."

With every person that came around the corner at the military base in New Orleans, the more excited then disappointed Catherine would be. She just wanted to see her son. She wanted to wrap her arms around him and squeeze him as tight as she could. And then she did. William came running up to his parents and threw his arms around them.