Chapter 14

A/N: Hi, guys! I left you on an epic cliffhanger there, didn't I? Ah, well, it was kinda satisfying. But, something important I wanted to say! I want to start including some songs that I feel just put me in a mood for all things Sokeefe! I don't really put pictures on my stories, but I feel like maybe I can put some songs that make me feel all snuggly for Sophie and Keefe for you guys! Today, I've put No Promises by Cheat Codes, featuring Demi Lovato! I hope you enjoy, and let me know what you think of this idea! Happy reading!

Sophie was in such a daze. She couldn't comprehend anything. She'd only just woken up a few minutes ago, and then the shocking reality had sunken in. 

Not that that was bad, of course. It was just impossible to believe.

All the times she'd laughed with him.

All the times they'd cried together.

She hadn't seen it.

And all the times Keefe had teased her.

All the times Keefe had made her blush.

She hadn't seen it. She liked Keefe. 

Sophie really didn't know what to do or think. Her heart was pounding like crazy, and she still couldn't get those ice blue eyes out of her head. Not that it was mortally possible for that to happen now that she'd finally understood.

The more she kept thinking about it, the more giddy she became. A slow smile spread across her face until she was beaming ear to ear.

She spun around her closet with a new rush of adrenaline, her feet in perfect sync with her heartbeat. But then she stopped, as a new consideration had dawned on her.

The Head vs. Heart theory.

The theory was developed by Keefe's overbearing, pretentious father, Lord Cassius Sencen. The theory stated that, despite his convoluted views on love, the head and the heart generally tend to feel differently, and that the emotions coming from the heart are far more purer than those in the head.

The major difference was that in your head, you can convince yourself to believe whatever you like, despite whether or not it is true. Though, despite attempts, you simply cannot persuade your heart to change how it feels.

All this time, Sophie had constantly been swooning over Fitz, but when they were in a relationship together, it just felt... off

Fitz was a great friend, and an awesome cognate. Sophie was super lucky to have him in her life, but when they'd both confessed, the plates started to shift.

After careful consideration, Sophie was convinced that her feelings for Fitz were mostly in her head.

After all, she'd usually been ogling over his movie star smile, or his gorgeous teal eyes. But when it came to emotions...? The first thing she usually thought of was his lash-outs in anger.

Of course those weren't the only emotions he'd displayed, but it had happened so much that she couldn't get it out of her head.

But on the other hand... Keefe.

She hadn't even known she'd liked Keefe until a few moments ago, and it was only yesterday when she started thinking about him. 

Honestly, when she thought about him, she was reminded of the many times he was always there for her. 

Yes, he was so jaw-droppingly handsome that it was ridiculous, with a style that only rivaled the best, but his traits stood out to her more than anything.

He was the kind, selfless, compassionate friend that was always there for her, listening patiently through her long rants, and giving her unforgettable advice.

And he was also the stubborn, slightly reckless, broken boy she'd seen.

She knew him better than anyone else, and the same went for him.

If Sophie compared Keefe to Fitz, she really didn't know Fitz that well.

But she really did know Keefe, and that was the moment she knew for the rest of her life that he was the one for her. 

But then the heartbreaking reality broke Sophie once again.

Keefe was gone. Her Keefe, the one she truly loved.

                  ━━━━━━━━━༻♡༺━━━━━━━━━

A tearful Sophie emerged from the closet, her thoughts still blaring in her head. She was in there so long, she assumed that everyone would be gone, but she was proven wrong.

Edaline stood, pacing the room in angst. When Sophie walked out, Edaline turned to look at her.

"Sophie, are you alright? You were in there for a while," said Edaline, looking so concerned it melted Sophie's heart a bit. "Oh, dear, is everything okay? Soph, you're crying."

Sophie bit her lip, hating that she'd been caught crying again. She swiped away at her stubborn tears, but they wouldn't stop.

She felt a pair of smooth, gentle arms wrap around her, a hand running through her hair. 

"It's okay. You're here with me now," Edaline murmured into her hair. 

The two stood there for a while, wrapped in each other's arms, while Sophie released the flood of tears that clouded her vision.

A bit of time passed before Edaline pulled away, putting her hands on either side of her daughter's cheeks, before asking, "What's troubling you, sweetheart?"

Sophie forced herself to look at Edaline, and as they made eye contact, she blurted out, "I love him."

Edaline looked at Sophie knowingly, her expression not changing as she nodded, saying, "I know, my dear."

That made Sophie even sadder, as she cried against Edaline's shoulders. It became even worse after a while, when she starting to hiccup, "I l-love him, a-and n-now he's g-gone!"

Sophie understood she was starting to get dramatic, but she just couldn't stop. It had been a week already since Keefe was gone, and she knew since then, but today was so different.

The boy she'd met in the halls of Foxfire, ditching, as she was making her way to the healing center, the one she'd been through so much in the past few years with, was gone, and she had realized only now that she liked him.

A/N: So, I hear you. The story is kind of going slowly, but I want to try and capture most scenes, especially right now, since Sophie is realizing everything and stuff. Hopefully the story should start to get more fast paced now, with more frequent updates! As usual, please comment any suggestions you may have, and vote if you enjoyed! Love you all, and thank you for 700 reads already!!