Chapter 26 : Lonesome

it's unhealthy how often i bite my lip whilst thinking of writing ideas like bitch its fucking bleeding wtf

The old man let out a heavy sigh, hands falling to his thighs as he shuffled in the car seat. Every so often, he would look out from his window and see the small figure sitting on the grass somewhere in the distance. Her hair flew to the right with the wind as she stared off at the city below her feet.

Eventually, Marcus let out a determined grunt before pulling on the door handle and exiting the vehicle. Despite wearing a warm coat, he shivered against the wave of cold that hit his body as soon as he came out. He hurriedly began making his way over to the girl, soon standing beside her.

"Raelynn..." He began, voice careful and low. Ray's face was red from the cold, and her body was shivering, but she didn't even look towards him. As if she hadn't heard him. She simply looked forward, eyes glued to the shimmering city before her feet.

"It's very late and cold." Marcus tried to be as gentle as he could. "You should really get home. You'll catch a cold, or something worse. Please Ray."

Ray sucked in a deep breath, her exhale coming out as gray vapor against the blackness of the night. She didn't dare looking at her driver and long time friend, but just simply shook her head whilst keeping her eyes forward.

"Can I have just some more time?" Her voice was down to a whisper, and it was hoarse and dry. She had clearly been crying. "Just a little longer... can I stay just a little longer."

Her breaking voice made Marcus' expression fall even softer. He didn't have the heart to say no, knowing exactly how much Ray wanted to run away at that very moment. But the poor girl couldn't even run away, as she'd be tracked and found before she could even make it far by herself.

Wordlessly, Marcus slid off his coat and carefully put it over the girl's shoulder. She did not react, just kept still as he adjusted it onto her shivering body and then stood back up.

"Take your time. I'll be in the car." The driver mumbled, turning to go back to his vehicle.

But his steps suddenly halted as he heard her fragile voice from behind him. "I'm sorry for making you do this."

He let slide a small smile as he turned back, but once again her eyes didn't meet his. "No, I'm sorry that this is all I can do for you."

Only silence ensued and Marcus took it as his que to walk back towards his car.

Ray shut her eyes tightly, but couldn't help the sob escaping her lips. And then another. And another. Her palms tightened once again, only deepening the crescent moods that she had already engraved there from clenching her fists so tightly. Countless of tears began rolling down her face and neck, some falling onto the grass and some wetting the edge of her sweater.

'Worthless.'

It hurt. It hurt so fucking badly. Ray felt alone- no one was there for her. Not her father. Not her mother. Not most of the staff in the house. No one.