40: Maybe Perfect

Chapter 40

The car ride to Jeffery’s was pretty well silent; the only real sounds coming from the soft hum of the radio as it played one of the pop hits thirteen year old girls went gaga over.  With just the music distracting me, I was pretty well left alone with my personal thoughts. The only thing going through my mind at the moment was the fact that I was really excited for this party. To be honest, since my parents died all those years ago I never really had a real birthday part. For past birthdays, Piper would just come over and watch movies with me all night, and when we met Blake in high school, he had started join us. Now, I was having my first real birthday party in a long time and I couldn’t wait.

Apparently fate had a way with playing with my excitement because it just didn’t want us to arrive at the party. By the time Jett actually pulled the car into the parking lot of Jeffery’s we had hit almost every red light possible and the traffic was being redirected because of an accident, making the journey to the café double the length it normally was.

“Somebody that hated us must have been controlling those lights because there is no way that it is possible to hit every single red.” I stated with a slightly angry tone as I stepped out of the car, slamming the door behind me.

“Hey, hey, don’t hurt the car or my dad will never let me take it out again.” Jett said, rubbing the top of the car affectionately.

I sighed and walked around the car, throwing my arms around Jett’s torso as he brought his arms around me. “I know, it’s just that with all that stuff happening it makes me think that this birthday is not going to turn out the way I’d like it to.” I replied with a semi-smile.

Jett took my face in his hands and looked me in the eyes. “Sophie, this is going to be one of the best birthdays of your life; all of your friends are here and I will personally make sure that you have the time of your life.” he said before his lips descended down onto mine.

It’s funny how a simple kiss could turn my whole thought process around. I had felt like this would be the worst day ever just a few seconds ago and now I’m feeling on cloud nine and thinking that this party will turn out amazing just because Jett’s here with me.

Smiling into the kiss, I let it last a couple more seconds before pulling back slowly and looking him in the eyes. “That’s all I needed to hear.” I said with a small smile, pecking him on the lips again before pulling back and grabbing his hand.

Turning around, I noticed that Max and Kara had already entered the café as they were nowhere to be seen in the parking lot. “Come on boy, I want to have a good night.” I said, pulling him along to the front doors of the café.

As we reached the door, Jett appeared in front of me suddenly and opened the door, holding it open for me as the tiny bell above the doorway rung gleefully. Smiling at him, I walked through the entryway and froze after taking about three steps into the café.