Chapter 7 | "little assassin"

"Good morning, Miyeon!"

She spun around at the sound of a voice, closing her room door behind her to see Renjun leaning against the wall across from her with a smile on his face and his hands behind his back.

"oh, good morning, your highness." she replied with a dip of her head.

"ugh come on, I thought we'd be past the titles now." he groaned out, falling into step beside her as they walked down the hallway.

"what do you mean?"

"I mean, I thought we were getting closer, you know?" she nodded her head in agreement. "and like, I think that being sent to the medic twice because of me, saving my life, and saving my brother's life warrants you being allowed to call me by my name."

"I don't know about that, its-"

"not protocol, I know, but come on." he begged with a pout. "when you loosen up, you're actually pretty fun, and I don't get much fun in my life so please~ just break one more rule, please~" he looked at her with big, pleading eyes that made her giggle.

"well..."

"come on, I even made you laugh."

"we'll see how I'm feeling." she teased, causing him to let out a groan as they continued walking.

"that's better than no, so I'll take it." he said with a firm nod. "by the way, Jeongin wanted to say thanks again, he thinks you're really cool."

"he's such a sweetheart, I hope to talk to him more sometime." she replied.

"he's a bit shy at first but he'll come around. He's never had a same-aged friend in the castle before so he's happy."

"thats good."

they continued to walk through the halls in comfortable silence when Renjun suddenly remembered why he waited to talk to her in the first place.

"oh, I do have something for you."

They stopped walking as Renjun pulled something out from behind his back.

"my sword! I totally forgot to ask you for it." she exclaimed, her hand instinctively going to her empty holster upon seeing the familiar blade.

he held it out in front of him, looking at the beautifully crafted weapon and smiling as he read the words embossed onto the hilt.

"small but deadly... that's you, huh?" he asked with an amused smirk.

"pretty much. My mom always called me that, and my grandfather too."

"well, you probably want it back right, little assassin?"

"little assassin? Is that my nickname now?" she asked with a laugh.

"yup, decided by yours truly. anyway, want it back?"

"of course."

"great, then lets make a deal." he replied, holding above his head and out of her reach.

She took a step closer to him to try and grab it but he just backed away, chuckling to himself and shaking his head. Miyeon let out a small huff, stepping back and crossing her arms as she waited to hear his conditions.

"I'll give you back your sword, once you agree to call me Renjun."

"oh come on. I need to protect you, don't I? How do I do that without my sword?" she argued back.

"you'd figure it out. so, do we have a deal or am I adding this to my collection?" he said, staring at her with a glint in his eyes.

"ugh fine, Renjun, you have a deal."