Chapter 15 | "something's wrong"

"How did you find me?" She asked, "no ones ever been able to track me before."

Renjun let out a chuckle, shaking his head as he helped her into the carriage, taking the seat across from her.

"You'd be surprised at what I can do when I put my mind to it."

"You coming in to save me..." she trailed off, shaking her head in frustration. "It's quite improper, I'm supposed to be the one rescuing you. My trainers would have a fit if they knew I nearly failed my mission."

"If it was up to me, we'd never be proper." He said, gripping her hand, Miyeon not missing the double meaning behind his words. "They trained you well, but if they ever get angry with you, I'll have a word with them." He laughed out as they began to move.

"I didn't know you could be so heroic." She commented, thinking back on what had just happened. "It was cool"

"Yeah I'm a bit better with a sword than I am with throwing knives." He laughed out. "My brothers and I are all trained, obviously not to the level that you are, but we can have our moments. To protect ourselves or those we care about." He said with a soft smile, rubbing his thumb along the back of her hand.

"You truly are a perfect Prince, aren't you." She said lightly, giggling at how he rolled his eyes.

"Far from perfect." He said, laughing along with her, "but I'm glad I was able to do some good today. Sorry that it took me so long." She immediately shook her head in response.

"Don't apologize, I'm lucky you came at all. I would've failed my mission if you hadn't shown up. Our source must've been misinformed about the number of people that were involved." She said with a huff.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, I was sent on this solo mission to eliminate the people who've been behind the attacks on you and your brothers. I was instructed that it was a band of outlaws, 5 of them, according to the source that informed us, staying at that chalet."

"Well that was far more than 5 people in that room." Renjun commented, thinking back to the number of bodies they had left on the ground.

"Yeah that's an understatement," she replied with a sigh, "and you didn't even see all of them."

"Care to elaborate?"

"I don't think you really want to know." She said with a shiver.

"I do. Come on, my little assassin, how many people were there today?" His words held a joking tone but his eyes were dead serious and she couldn't understand why, but she went along anyway.

"Well, upon arrival, I faced at least 20 men. I thought I could handle it, but I couldn't. More of them kept pouring into the room and I was eventually overpowered. I would've been killed in that room if you hadn't shown up." She said quietly.

"That would mean there were over 30 men there." Renjun deduced, nodding his head slowly as he thought back to the men he fought and those that were already slayed when he arrived.

"You would be correct."

"And none of them survived?"

"No. My mission was clear."

"Do you know who sent you on this mission?" He asked slowly.

"I wasn't told who made the decision, but it was clear that I was not to return until the job was done. The letter I got was signed 'JWH', whoever that is."

Renjun nodded slowly, a dark expression overcoming his face that made Miyeon nervous. He knew something she didn't, and it was clear that it bothered him.