II.II

A/N: "Mr

A/N: "Mr. Perfectly Fine" by Taylor Swift. It's everything to me.

You find yourself having more sleepless nights than ever before. Every time you close your eyes you're facing the terrifying horrors your brain has managed to conjure up. The sounds of people screaming for help as debris rains down around you. You're fighting against the arms of two firemen. Someone has to help them!

Your alarm is still hours away from ringing, yet you glance at the time every few minutes, every minute dragging along like it's an hour. Your eyes are glued to your ceiling fan, watching as it swings back and forth slightly with each rotation of the blades.

After your first case with the BAU, things have started to slow down. Contrary to popular belief, you don't have cases every single day of the week. Most of your days of work are summarized by piles and piles of paperwork. The team seems to be perpetually behind on every case report. The team tries to write up a general profile for every case that requests the BAU assistance that you can't help with in person. In addition, Strauss loves to load the whole team with special talking events and lecture series. There's hardly a day where everyone is in the office at the same time and when you are, you're all soon called away on a case.

You haven't been called away on a case since your first with the team. You actually don't mind doing paperwork most of the day. The main reason is that it gives you an easy way to stay away from Hotch. You've jokingly struck up a deal that for every one of your files that Reid walks up to Hotch's office for you, you'll buy him a coffee. So far you owe him nearly two weeks of coffee.

Hotch is not completely oblivious. He's caught on to your little game and so far, he's been kind enough to give you some distance. He's stopped pressuring you to talk to him. Maybe he finally sensed the raw emotion of your voice the other day in his office.

You resign yourself to the fact that you're not going to fall back to sleep before your alarm rings. You pull the sheets off of you, kicking your feet off to the side, wrapping your arms around your body tightly as a shiver runs through you. The temperature in Virginia is dropping rapidly as winter takes over. You love when it's cold. You love the way the cold, blustery air bites at your skin and makes you tingly. It's a nice reminder that you're alive. After everything you've been through, you're still standing. You can still feel something. You can feel the cold.

You go through the motions of your morning routine, taking a shower to wake yourself up, brushing your teeth, pulling on some slacks and a nice blouse. You turn on some music while you get ready but even your favorite songs can't seem to pull your head out from the haze you are living in recently. Your body is working on autopilot because before you know it, you've finished your makeup. It's not even 6 AM.

You pop half of a bagel into the toaster, make a cup of coffee in your thermos, and then cover the bagel with cream cheese and honey. You look around your half-empty apartment, taking your time to eat your small breakfast.