Chapter 84 | bury hatchets but keep maps of their location

-------------------> HER DAY STARTED WITH BURNING letters and feelings

-------------------> HER DAY STARTED WITH BURNING letters and feelings. A stack of white envelopes had been delivered by owl, and any letter whose sender's last name contained Black had been addressed to the fire. She didn't want their convincing. She didn't want their justification. Lyra knew how capable her family was at twisting poisonous words into lyrical ones, she knew how talented they were at telling people exactly what they wanted to be told. So, Lyra didn't bother spearing more than a glance at any of them. She was perfectly fine with her tears, her anger and her disappointments, thank you very much.

She found an envelope sent by Theodore Nott. When she read through the contents, warmth washed over her. Knowing her fondness of her diamond heels, Theodore had commissioned one for her, studded with blue diamonds, as a present for Yule or New Year; the occasion hadn't been mentioned in the letter. A smile lingered on her lips as she pocketed that letter, before resuming flipping through the other envelopes.

She stilled, however, when she came across a letter by Narcissa. Just as she was about to toss it into the fire, she noticed the writing on top of the envelope itself.

Don't burn this yet, Lyra. At least read it first. If you're worried about me mitigating your wounded ego, I'm not going to. I need your help. I need you to do something for me. I need you.

Narcissa's passive-aggressive words cut through the turmoil of emotions Lyra felt. It should have fuelled her fury, increased her aggravation, her anger.

But there was something lovely about being needed that made Lyra reluctant to discard the letter without checking its contents. Although her better judgement screamed otherwise, at the end of the day, despite whatever had brewed between them, Narcissa was still family and Lyra still wanted to be needed.

Frost entered Lyra's eyes as she arrived at a conclusion. She tore the envelope, prying it open and fishing out the letter, before reminding herself that although she may be burying a hatchet, she must keep a map of their location.

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

The Potter Manor was quiet at eight in the morning. Charlus had been doing paperwork late into last night, and Dorea was in bed, nursing a migraine. As it was also the last day before the winter holidays finished, James, Regulus and Sirius had also expressed their determination last night to sleep through the whole day today, and Lyra didn't doubt them in this.

So, Lyra ventured to the Malfoy Manor for breakfast, because she didn't want to eat alone. All three Malfoy's had been sleeping in when she arrived, so Lyra navigated into Lucius' room, woke him up, and dragged him downstairs to eat with her.

Despite Lucius grumbling for a while, as the scent of tea engulfed the air, he brightened, pulling out a chair for her at the dining table before seating himself on one beside hers.