Chapter 68

They'd searched through every person before Magnus realised who had taken his book.

Iris Rouse.

A warlock with a love of French spells and who disguised herself as Champenois, a word of an Old French dialect meaning red-haired cat. And Magnus had received a visit from a new cat with red hair that morning.

They began searching Magnus's house, Serena whipping out a Seraph sword as they looked, not liking being unarmed when they were going up against a warlock that had managed to put a mind spell on her family.

Serena tossed her second one to Alec, both of them having silently agreed to go home to talk about all this in private.

"Where did you get those?" Jace asked his sister. 

"Please, JJ, you really think I go anywhere unarmed?" she had smirked, trying to hide all her other emotions that Alec could feel, Izzy being unable to with so much vampire venom in her system, the poison weakening their bond.

They all followed Magnus into the last room, fanning out before discovering a cat beneath the bed covers.

It tried to run, but not before Magnus fired a ball of energy at it, forcing Iris back into her human-like form.

"Duratus!" she had yelled as she pushed a ring of orange energy from her hands, freezing the all the Shadowhunters save for Serena, who had been shielded by the magic inside her new Portal Pendant, and Magnus who'd shielded himself with his own magic.

Iris hadn't expected her to not freeze, so she was unexpecting when Serena kicked her in the stomach, making her stumble backwards before Magnus blasted her with a ball of energy.

Iris collapsed into a bookcase, the volumes and splintered wood tumbling with her.

And as she shot to her feet and tried to run, Serena and Magnus walked from the room, Magnus using his magic to seal all exits.

Iris saw Magnus as the bigger threat, so while she was more concerned with blasting and dodging him, she didn't see Serena using her stealth rune until it was too late.

The Shadowhunter leapt into the air, landing with a punch to Iris's face as the warlock doubled over, only to be met with Serena's knee.

Magnus then contained Iris, squeezing her around the middle, pinning her arms to her sides as she gasped in pain and was lifted off her feet.

"You haven't changed one bit since the last time I saw you crawling from the ruins of la Bastille," Magnus said, Serena watching the warlock that tried to force Clary into having a warlock baby with a furious glare.

"Old French spells. Your favourite," Magnus sighed before he tightened his hold on her and Iris gasped.

"Where's Magnus's spellbook?!" Serena asked darkly, sword in hand.

"Valentine!" Iris groaned and both Serena and Magnus were surprised. "He has Madzie too. If I don't go back, I don't know what he'll do to her."

"What does Valentine want with my counterspells?" Magnus asked.

"I don't know!"

The hold on her grew tighter.

"I DON"T KNOW!" she screamed. "All...all he said was that I had to get them for him. And I wasn't to harm Clary or Serena, or he'd make Madzie suffer."

Serena's stance slackened.

Valentine hadn't really bothered with her up until now. It was always Jace and Clary.

What did he want with her? Why now?

"Magnus, Serena, please. I'm all Madzie has. Have mercy," Iris begged.

"After everything you've done?" Magnus asked incredulously.

"Release them," Serena ordered and Magnus allowed Iris enough slack to be able to cast the spell to release the rest of the Shadowhunters.

The group rushed into the room, Alec relieved when he saw his wife, but nervous when he saw the scared look on her face.

Iris's gaze then rested on Clary.

"Clary Fairchild," she panted. "You made a blood oath. Find Madzie."

And Magnus sent Iris through a portal.