Chapter 32

Hanji's screams of despair and anguish woke Angharad the next morning

Hanji's screams of despair and anguish woke Angharad the next morning. She rubbed at her eyes as she sat up, a few remaining files falling off her chest from where she fell asleep doing her share of the paperwork. Hanji continued to scream outside her window, and she groaned, standing to grab her jacket and doing her best to rush outside.

"Sawney! Bean!" Oh god, that's not good. "This can't be real! Tell me it's not true!" Ang watched as Hanji fell to her knees, her hands clutching at her messy ponytail. The Navigator spotted her nephew, standing amongst the crowd with his hood pulled over his head, and she moved to stand at his side.

"They were both killed at the same time before dawn." She heard Eld whisper to Gunther. "By the time the watchmen noticed, they'd used their maneuver gear to get away."

"Let's go." Ang finally noticed Captain Levi on Eren's other side. "It's up to the Military Police now." Eren made to follow the Captain when he paused and looked to the two steaming test subjects now. Ang, who hadn't moved her eyes from the scene, noticed the boy's suspicion.

"Tell me, Little Scout." She whispered, leaning close so only he could hear. "What do you see here?"

"I see Hanji going kind of crazy." He remarked sarcastically.

"Hanji's always been crazy." She laughed lightly. "I'm serious. What do you see?" He looked closely now, the two titan corpses were still steaming, but as he looked closer, he noticed that both of their napes were exposed, both bodies face-down. Even though the specimens had been nailed down, they still had some movement available, seeing as one almost took a chunk out of Hanji.

"Both bodies are in vulnerable positions. Meaning that whoever did this must be really good at operating their ODM gear, enough to sneak in, slice both napes, and escape without being seen."

"While that is correct, I don't want you to tell me what you might have heard from Eld or Gunther. Look again. Really observe the situation." She prompted him to see what she was seeing. Her nephew was smart, and with a little push was usually able to see pick up on the finer details. His eyes roamed around the crowd, all of whom were watching Hanji lose her mind and mourn her Titan children. Most of them were confused, either watching what was left of the test subjects continue to decay or grimacing at the screeching wails of Hanji Zoe. Moblit was trying to calm the woman, while Ang and Levi's squad was quietly talking amongst themselves, whispering back and forth. He turned to his Aunt slowly.

"Was it one of our soldiers who did it?" He asked. She shrugged.

"Maybe not just one of our soldiers, but someone who trained long enough to be able to escape the eyes of 100 Scouts, and successfully destroy the subjects and their research."

"Who would want to destroy the research? If we can't get answers, we may never find out the truth..." Eren trailed off as he finally understood her questions, turning back to assess the scene again. A pair of hands gently laid themselves on top of his shoulders, and the Commander calmly leaned down between him and his Aunt to whisper in his ear.