Magic

Mr Ollivander's shop was a library, filled to the brim with thousands of different wands. The air was thick with dust, a small lamp illuminating the endless shelves stacked with the magical objects. But it was silent, other than the breaths of my own and Professor Snape's.

The rolling of wheels sounded from behind one of the pillars, before an elderly man perched on a ladder appeared before us both. His eyes wide out of shock and disbelief. "It can't be, Miss Potter!?" He exclaimed, hopping off the ladder and snaking towards me. I nodded, forcing a smile, "Good morning, Mr Ollivander. I am here to buy my wand."

He nodded, pointing a finger towards me, "You must know, my dear, that a wand's allegiance cannot be bought. The wand chooses the Witch...But I wonder, which wand will choose you..." He trailed away, before disappearing behind one of the shelved and appearing less than a moment later with a box in hand.

"Applewood, unicorn hair, 10 inches. Here you are, my dear." He outstretched the wand into my palm, and as I accepted the want it felt somewhat uncomfortable as I gave it a small swish, and a glass in the room exploded entirely, making me jump in my place. Gasping, I quickly placed the wand back down onto the countertop. He sighed, "I didn't think so." Reaching under the cabinet, he pulled out another. "Redwood, dragon heartstring, 13 inches." He smiled, handing the wand to me happily. I sighed and took a deep breath, trying to concentrate a little more than previously. With the flick of my wrist, a number of other wands flew from their shelves. Placing the wand back onto the counter once more, I could feel myself growing a little impatient.

Mr Ollivander shook his head, "Not that one either." He huffed, kneeling down onto the floor to collect the fallen wands. "Hmm...Dare I offer you this one?" He mumbled almost too quietly to hear. I furrowed my eyebrows, trying to peek over the top. "Parden me sir, but what one is that?" I spoke simply, his eyes slowly appearing over the countertop as he held a box in his hands. His eyes looked slightly frightened, "Wandmakers do not often offer these wands to witches or wizards, my dear. But I believe this wand may have chosen you. Elderwood, phoenix feather, 12 inches." He produced the wand from the box, and I found myself growing mesmerised with its beauty.

Taking the wand from the box, I began to twirl it around in my fingers effortlessly. It was light but strong, like a small sword. The lights in the room around me began to flicker on and off, and the room grew warm and cosy, like a hug. It was only Mr Ollivander's remark that pried my eyes from the wand, "Very rare, indeed." Peering over my shoulder, my eyes met those of Professor Snape's who seemed as though they had travelled worlds away. He looked worried, or at least concerned.

The Wandmaker's comment, too, plunged him from his thoughts, as he reached into his cloak pocket and handed the money over. Without as much as a thanks, we left the shop and made our way to the next place on the street; Eyelops Owl Emporium. As I wandered inside, I began to look at the many cages and enclosures, hosting all kinds of fantastical animals. Some, common pets that I had seen in the real world, others not so much. Three-eyes toads and two-headed snakes. But what to choose...

"Your mother had a cat just like that one." I turned to find the professor looking into one of the cages solemnly. My eyes averted to the small but elderly cat, looking so timid in the huge cage. It was alone; a runt. "She's perfect." I sighed, poking my finger through the cage as she began to nestle her head into my hand. "I think I'll name her...Ash." I smiled, my eyes drifting to meet his, which quickly averted back onto the cat. He nodded, "Perfect." And took the cage from the shelf, walking it towards the tills.

We headed to a few more shops, one of which being for some Potions ingredients that the Professor would need prior to the new term tomorrow. "Sometimes, it is good to get ahead on some light reading if you want to make the top of the class." He instructed, handing me an additional potions book for beginners. I nodded, gladly accepting his advice. "Was my mother good at potions, Professor?" I queried, but instantly regretted it as he came to a halt in the shop.

Finally, he let out a small sigh, turning to face me, "Your mother was a very gifted witch, indeed, Miss Potter. I can only hope that you may live up to her talents." He smiled slightly, before turning back to the jars filled with frogs legs and picking a few. "Tomorrow, when you get to the station, you will need to find the pillar between Platforms 9 and 10. Head for the wall. You'll need to pick up your pace a little if you want to make it through. And try to get a cabin towards the back of the train, that way you will be closest to the platform exit when you arrive. And change into your robes approximately 30 minutes prior to your arrival, otherwise the other students will want to change at the last minute." I nodded at his instructions, mentally making a note as we continued through the store. He picked at some pickled slugs in a jar, before taking some out and depositing them into his bag. "You will need a cauldron, also. I will teach you an extension charm so you can fit everything into your new trunk." He spoke simply.

It was another forty-five minutes before we made our way back towards The Leaky Cauldron, and it would probably take me all night to pack my things. I sat on the edge of the bed, which was 10 times more comfortable than my one at the orphanage, and waited for Snape to speak. "Now, this is a quite advanced spell so it may be best if we kept this between us." He instructed, to which I hummed in agreement, unable to contain my excitement at the thought of learning magic.

Rolling his sleeves up, I did the same and took my wand in hand. He cleared his throat, "Watch my movement as I incant; Capacious extremis." I watched as he flicked his wrist, and I mirrored his movement. "Capacious extremis." Nothing happened. Trying to conceal my disappointment, I looked at the ordinary trunk, unamused. But the smirk soon appeared on the Professor's face, "Very good, Miss Potter."

I scoffed, folding my arms out of disbelief, "Good? It didn't work."

The Professor's grin widened, as he opened the trunk, picked up a cauldron and dropped it inside. It had disappeared completely. I gasped, my eyes wide in shock as I flew from my bed and peeked inside. It had vanished. "It worked?" I spoke almost silently. The Professor nodded, "I don't believe you are going to be a problem at all, Miss Potter. I must leave you now. But, I will be seeing you shortly."

Before I had a chance to utter another word to the professor, even to thank him, he had disappeared. And all that remained was black smoke where he had stood...