32

Asami

It's like my heart had weighed down onto my stomach and I sit at my desk, nibbling away at my nails whilst I watch the clock tick and tick. Did I do everything right? Did I finish the last sentence? I've checked it over and over but I might've missed at least something, maybe I spelt something wrong or completely forgot to put a page in there.

I turn to my right. Korra's there, feet up on her desk whilst she talks to Kuvira. She's so calm about this. We just handed in our project a few moments ago, and the teacher is grading it as we speak in the other room. We had a choice to go home and get our results back on monday, since it's friday, but my nervousness wouldn't allow me to take a step outside of this building. Korra and her crew stayed too, which I'm thankful for but my heart has continued to race at 100 miles an hour ever since the pages left my palms.

Korra still has the 'plague' as Bolin would call it but it's not as bad as it was on Wednesday. Her cute sneezes lessened and she can actually go through the day without using a whole packet of tissues. Her mum has been doing well too, she's been telling me all about her new 'job' when I visit.
"School kids.." She told me.
"I don't know where they get their energy from."

Senna has also started to attend some sort of counselling from what Korra's told me, the bottles in their fridge are slowly getting replaced by more cartons of orange juice as the days go by. Korra makes sure to stock up on it too, resulting in both of us going for a weekly shop together.

Korra makes sure to stop by to say hello to my parents sometimes, espeically after we told them about.. well us.

It only happened yesterday actually and Korra couldn't stop laughing for the rest of the day too. We sat down at the table opposite my parents, cups of coffee in a row of four in the middle. My heart was racing and I could feel Korra's unease next to me yet, she looked so confident with her head held high. But I knew her hands were fiddling under the table.
"So I've been meaning to tell you two something." I said to them. My mum raised an eyebrow at me and my dad was just listening closely.

"What is it?"

"Me and Korra.. well, we're together."
Once I said those very words my dad sighed and dug into his jean pocket. He pulled out his wallet and slid a £5 note out which he gave to my mum afterwards. She gladly stuffed it into her own pocket.
"Wait.. you bet on us!"

My mum shrugged.
"I saw it coming a mile away." She said. Korra started to laugh uncontrollably and her nerves washed away like it was never there in the first place.

"I'm happy for you two." My dad said.
"You're always welcome here Korra."

Korra has been smiling non stop after that event yesterday. Not many people know about us in school either, only my friends and Korra's.. and a few other people that overheard Bolin's exclaimated reaction.. so yeah maybe the whole school does know. But that's not a problem in my eyes, I want people to know.

However, ever since the so called 'announcement' Mako has been acting rather odd. He still laughs and jokes with Korra and his friends but when it comes to me, the air gets really thick. I tend to ignore it though, surely it means nothing.

"Are you okay Asami?" that familiar voice snapped me out of my daze. Blue eyes, they're always so blue, meet mine.

"Yes.. yes. I'm fine." I say and flash Korra a smile.

"Asami, you're the world's worst liar." She chuckles and I scoff.
"What are you so nervous about?"

I sigh and look towards the clock again. It's only been 10 minutes, how much longer will it take?
"I don't know, maybe I messed something up."