News

Chapter 14

The closer we got to my house the more my stomach turned, I know Dante can feel my body shaking with anxiety.

My mom sat on our front porch waiting for me to get home. Dante helped me bring all my things up to my room.

"Remember what I told you in the car?" I nodded knowing he meant that I could call him.

"It's so nice meeting you Dante, I've heard a lot about you, all good things of course." I eyed my mom as Dante smirked at me, "Pleased to meet you as well Miss Cano" She gave me a pleased smile, "Oh dear, call me Cadella!"

Dante's focus shifted back to me, "I have to go." I nodded and gave him a small smile, I truthfully didn't want him to leave yet but I had to face reality.

"I want every single detail later." Mom knew the stories about Dante just as well as I did but she wasn't phased, like mother like daughter.

We heard the front door shut and we both froze, I looked at her and she motioned towards the stairs, although I could tell she wanted to hide as much as I did.

"Ella? Camille? Come down please, we need to talk ." Before she stepped on the first stair I grabbed her arm and shook my head, she shook her head with a sad smile in response and continued down the stairs.

I followed slowly behind her. I'm not scared of him....not necessarily, I just don't enjoy being in the same area as him.

"Camille, you look so grown up!"

"Well maybe if you weren't gone for half my life-" My mom stopped me from finishing my sentence, "Whatever."

"I came home to share news with you two."

I rolled my eyes, share news. He could of stayed gone and Mom and I would of been just fine. I looked over at my mom who stared at him with pure love, it breaks my heart to see my mom in love with such an asshole who never deserved her. The only thing i'll give him is how he's been loyal to her.

If that.

"What's the news." I asked, trying to distract my mom. "I'm going to try and be home more." He stared at both of us with a smile.

"Is that serious...like you aren't joking?" I silently prayed in my head he was joking but was let down when he confirmed he was serious. "You don't get to just come home one day after years of being gone, and try  to make things better. I'm graduating in a few months and now you wanna care? You only ever came home to teach me to defend myself because 'you'd  never be able to do it yourself.'"

"Camille I understand how you're feeling but-"

"But what? This isn't even about me, I've never had you then I don't need you now, this is about mom." She looked at me with tears down her face," She loves you with so much of her and that's never mattered to you. You've never loved either of us."

"Cami I pay for everything you have." I began to cry, I'm so frustrated, hurt. "Money and objects don't make up for your absents in my life! It doesn't make up for all of those father daughter dances I was never able to go to! It doesn't make up for all of the career days with dad that I had to bring my mom to, it does not make up for all the nights mom and I cried together about you never being here. After awhile we got used to you being gone, we don't need you here."

He stared at me for a moment before looking at my mom, "I told you I never wanted you to keep her, we had an agreement, I pay for your living and you cover me so I don't seem like an asshole, so why is she still looking at me like i'm an asshole?"

I froze. Everything in my body turned cold. My body shook from anger and pain. "Mom?" She opened her mouth to say something but I cut her off, when I began to talk at my father again, "You never wanted me, so why are you still sitting here pretending you ever gave a fuck." I said in almost a whisper.

"We were young, of course I didn't want you! That doesn't mean I don't love you." I laughed humorously, "If you loved me you would of been here, you don't even know me, you don't know anything about me."

I didn't let him explain anything else, I went to my room and locked the door. He was never a good dad but to hear he didn't want me...to hear my own dad didn't want me....

My legs felt weak under me, I ran to the bathroom and threw up, all the nerves that had built up earlier caused it all to come up.

All the crying, all the shaking, all the anxiety just built up and I lost it.

My phone ringing snapped me back into reality and out of my trance.

"Hello.."

"Camille what's wrong?" Dante's voice broke through the other end of the phone.

"Can you come over...please. Through my window..." My breaths were shaky and my stomach continued to turn.

"On my way, breathe Cano."

As soon as Dante got here he pulled me into a tight hug, attempting to calm me down. "What happened?" My body continued to shake, I was unable to speak. "Camille, breathe." My body felt weak and my legs gave out, Dante caught me and laid across my bed as he adjusted me in his arms.

After about 20 minutes my breaths shallowed.

"I'm here Camille."