ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛʜʀᴇᴇ: ᴀᴘʀɪᴄᴀᴛᴇ

【1.03】

03】

(v.) to bask in the sun

♡♡♡

Seasons flew by too fast, in my opinion. In no time, our mild spring had transformed into a hot summer. Children started coming inside sweaty and thirsty, and little pools would be filled with chilly water to combat the heat. But just like spring, summer was gone In a flash. Before I knew it, warm colored leaves started falling from the branches of the trees, and the strong smell of mother's pumpkin spice bread wafted throughout the entirety of the house. Autumn had arrived.

Isabella was doing my hair this morning- a rare occurrence- but a pleasant one nonetheless.

"I like your hair long" she told me. I didn't care for my hair the same way she cared for hers. I felt a tug as she gathered it into a ponytail. In winter, when it would get too cold to play outside, I would let Isabella do anything she wished with my hair. Because of this, I had never really considered cutting it. So I just hummed in agreement.

That day, after lunch, all of the children of Grace Field made their way outside. Many were running. Isabella, Leslie and myself walked. They had something to show me by our oak.

Once we were at the tree, Leslie took a seat at the trunk, Isabella sat on his left, I laid down on his right; placing my hands under my head. Leslie strummed a gentle tune with his instrument, and I hummed in bliss. It was impressive. Isabella was especially proud, she rambled to Leslie about the piece. While the two talked, I fingered a few daisies by my side. Discreetly, I modeled the flowers into a small ring, and slipped it into my pocket. The time had gotten away from us- the sun was about to set.

"Leslie, may I speak with you?" mother asked him, I did not notice her arrival. He nodded, and waved to the two of us. We waved back, and I was tempted to throw one of the rocks by my knee at the back of mother's head. Yet, I resisted; I'm ever the exceptional daughter. Isabella moved closer to my side.

"Watch the sunset with me?" I asked.

She agreed with a smile. Taking my hand in hers, Isabella led me up the oak slowly. The rough bark dug into my hands. I prayed that the ring in my pocket took no damage from my carelessness. Sitting on a high, but sturdy branch, the two of us examined the fading effulgence of the sun in wonder. I redirected my stare to the girl next to me.

It was a gorgeous sunset- breathtaking even. Yet, it held no candle to her. The golden light reflected off her porcelain skin, giving the illusion that she was glowing. Her eyes were a brilliant violet hue, and her lips were upturned in a slight smile. I wondered what it would be like to kiss her, like how we had read in the books.

I felt my face go hot, and I shifted my gaze onto the disappearing colors of the sky as they slowly faded into a soft night. When did I start thinking stupid, sappy things like that? My eyes moved once more to look at Isabella. Could I...

"Marry me, Isabella?" I ask. She turns her head and laughs, but I am serious.

"You're not supposed to ask me that until we're older, (y/n)"

"I'll be older tomorrow- will you say yes then?"

"Have you a ring?" she asked. Isabella held her hand out dramatically, batting her eyes.

"Obviously" matching her theatrics, I reveal the small flower ring from my pocket. She held out her hand, and I slid the flora onto her left ring finger.

"So this is marriage?" She grinned.

"A promise, actually" I make a move down the tree, and take her hand.

"Isabella, I promise- on my left eye- I'll marry you for real someday"

"Is that even your good one?"

"It will be- if our marriage is on the line"

She hunched over in hysterics. That day would be the last day that I counted Isabella's days for her. I dreaded the confrontation of reality, but I had let this go on too long. Isabella would be twelve in less than a year now, and I had been wasting her time. Tonight, I would be planning our escape, for the two of us and Leslie.

♡♡♡

【Vault】

✘ Isabella kept that flower ring in her pocket, even after it started to shrivel and dry up. Who knows where it is now.

♡♡♡

WC: 736

Yes, I quoted Fruit's Basket*. Tell a friend. 

This lovely chapter is dedicated to el-anit! I was planning on posting this later in the week, but they motivated me to post sooner (hopefully that's a good thing). They hyped me up a bit and ngl I kinda blushed. I'm actually enjoying this writing thing more then I expected lol. Furthermore, I come back home to find that there are now 70 views, 3 votes, and this story is #38 in the TPN tag??? Y'all fr be making my day.

Expect an update later this week,

rem

(ps. I got carried away and made this a bit fluffier then expected.. too much?)