part eight

the one where she finds Shawty.

part eight

The kitten is injured.

Sharp branches from the shrub are wrapping around its hind foot, causing a deep cut into the skin underneath. Juno winces as she notices the small trickle of blood coming from the wound, and the cat's soulful blue eyes look at her imploringly to help as its little body squirms to get free.

"Oh, you poor thing," Juno says as she strokes her hand along its back to calm it, even though she's aware it doesn't understand her words. Slowly, she untangles the piercing shrubbery from where it is lodged, and its foot is now free.

The school has a clear policy of no pets allowed, which wasn't much of a problem because Juno has never had any pets. But her heart still breaks for the little kitten when she sees it struggling to walk. She knows she should probably let it go off on its own, but where did it even come from? This is no place for little animals.

This cat must have gotten in some other way.

She finally scoops it up in her arms and rises. She's just going to smuggle the cat back to her room and clean it up, and it can hide out in there for a few days while it recovers. And then she'll return it somehow - who knows what the punishment is for getting caught with a pet?

Juno untucks her blouse so that its hanging freely over her skirt and gently nestles the kitten under it, against her stomach. It is soft against her skin, and Juno braces herself as she walks back inside the building. But no one gives her so much as more than a second glance, and she sighs in relief once she's been able to safely enter her room.

"I don't know if you're a girl cat or boy cat yet, so I can't name you." Juno is speaking to the kitten as she places it under the sink to clean it properly. "But I'm confused, though. How on earth did you get in here?"

The kitten meows.

"Ah, I see," Juno says, nodding like she understands.

The kitten meows again. Now that it is completely clean, Juno gives it a closer look. The cat's fur is pure white and right between long and short length; its eyes are an icy blue that should look chilly but really just cause it to seem even more endearing than it already does. "You're really cute, kitty," she says, turning on the blow-dryer to dry its fur. The kitten closes its eyes, looking like its having the time of its life.

Just then, there's a knock on the door.

Juno freezes. The kitten seems to sense that something is off, and also stops moving. When another knock comes, Juno jumps into action and leaves the bathroom, shutting the door to it behind her. She prays her surprise visitor isn't a member of the administration, otherwise she risks getting in trouble for having an animal on the premises.

Juno opens the door to her room and sighs in relief when she sees that it's just Jeno.

Jaemin is beside him, looking like he'd rather be anywhere else but here. Juno glances between the two of them curiously. "What's up?" she asks as casually as she can, like she doesn't currently have a random cat in her bathroom sink.

"We're meeting up to watch a movie with the others. Wanna join?" Jeno asks, and Juno grins at him, warmed. He has been going out of his way to make her feel included and not quite so isolated ever since they met, and without him, she knows that she would probably be stuck either alone or struggling to make friends. But it all seems so natural with him. Junk feels a sudden rush of gratefulness towards the boy, who is living proof that not all men are trash.

"Ooh, that sounds good," she replies, except there's still a kitten in her sink. "But, um... can you give me a few minutes?" He raises a brow at her hesitation, and she sighs.