Chapter 102: Becoming Your God (V)

A few days later, the group made it to the capital of the Yi Empire called Cannes City. The capital was located halfway up the mountain. The capital was magnificent and tiered. Around the mountain, there were roads winding around the capital. The capital was made of a massive slab of marble. On both sides of the road, there were shops and countless vendors yelling out their prices. There was also a never-ending flow of merchants who negotiated the prices. There were luxurious carriages in various shapes all around. They were all bouncing along to the prosperous air.

Since Yitamo was an important character of the selection ceremony, he immediately excused himself once they entered the city. However, Neil stayed behind and volunteered to be their guide. He arranged accommodations for everybody and took them on a tour so they could get familiar with their surroundings.

Since the Shu Clan arrived later than others, the rooms in the taverns and inns were all full. If it weren't for Neil, they may have had to camp on the outskirts of the city, To this humble group of farmers, the city's splendor shocked them and they all marveled at it. It was fortunate that the masks covered these country bumpkins' expressions of awe. Instead, they were able to create a mysterious aura.

Their eyes were attracted to a wide range of tinkling goods. They wanted to buy all of them, but they were soon brought back to cruel reality by the expensive prices. This made them lose their interest in the beauty of Cannes City. They were frugal in terms of spending so they rejected any luxury items that weren't worth the money.

This didn't mean that they lived in poverty. Instead, their standard of living was higher than the average minor-league aristocrat. However, the difference between them was that the Shu Clan had created everything with their own hands.

As they marveled at the capital's luxuries, many people were also attracted to them as a result of their rare delicate clothing and their unique ornaments.

"Eh? Isn't this the War Temple?" The Shu clansman happened upon a majestic temple with Neil acting as their guide. Each side of the entrance was decorated with two male lions. The main wall of the structure rose up to at least a dozen meters and was gilded with bronze. There were also dozens of massive stone columns with several guards patrolling back and forth in front of them.

Upon seeing this, the Shu clansmen were reminded about their God Uno's hideous and decrepit temple. Even after several repairs, it couldn't be compared to the War temple. This was the difference between being refugees and being royalty.

The Shu clansmen made a resolution to rebuild God Uno's temple. They all had colorful outfits, but their God Uno still lived in a simple cold temple despite giving them all he had. The group realized that God Uno taught them all the skills he knew, but never asked them to rebuild his temple in return. Majestic temples symbolized the status and dignity a god had. Many worshippers chose to go hungry rather than neglect their god.

The Shu clansmen were pious towards their god, but their frugal behaviors shaped their abilities in building the temple. They only realized their shortcomings when they saw the War Temple. They all reaped the benefits of God Uno's blessings, but they didn't give him equal offerings in return. Any other god might have long abandoned them.

Their God Uno was a benevolent god, one that only appeared every millennium or so. His generous and magnanimous nature made them feel ashamed of their own behaviors. (Shang Ke: Don't associate me with the 'Nice Guy Card.' This will make it hard for me to find a spouse.)

The main hall of the War Temple was open to the public, so believers could come to worship the War God at any time. The Shu clansmen entered the temple one after the other to tour the place and learn more about it.