A Whole New You

Jane had been quiet for the past week or so. She didn't want to tell anyone about the frightening voicemail. She couldn't expect her friends to take on all of her problems. She had spent years coping on her own, and she could continue to do so. That was how she found herself sitting at her computer, looking up self defense classes while Bobby tapped away on his own laptop doing something at her side.

"Whoa, whoa whoa." Chimney said, coming up the stairs with Hen. The second that Bobby saw them coming, he immediately closed his laptop, which honestly made Jane curious too. "What was that all about?" He pointed to the laptop that had been pushed to the side.

Bobby nonchalantly took a sip of the tea that Jane had made for both of them, and looked up at the two paramedics innocently. "What?"

"You closed your laptop as soon as we walked in here like you were hiding something."

"No, I didn't. I just took a sip of tea." They were unmoved, and Buck had come upstairs, and was now looking at his friends amused that they were cornering Bobby instead of him for a change.

Jane used this time of distraction to slowly close her own laptop, because frankly she wasn't ready to tell people about the class she was considering. That might lead them to ask questions about why she was taking it. Which was something she really didn't want to talk about.

"I can't be hiding something. Jane is right there," Bobby tried again, pointing to the young woman. "If I were hiding something, I wouldn't be doing it with Jane here."

"No," Hen smiled down at him. "You still could be. Jane is the least pushy of us. She wouldn't even think about peeking at your screen."

Chimney seemed to agree with Hen as he grabbed the laptop. When he opened it, despite Bobby's protests and obvious embarrassment, his eyebrows went up.

"RomancingTheUniform.com?! That's my dating site! That's where I met Tatiana!" Buck and Hen came up behind Chimney, all of them getting Cheshire grins at the sight of the dating website. Jane shook her head lovingly at their juvenile behavior.

"Holy crap," Chim's voice was lower, more thoughtful. "Are you actually getting back out there? Putting yourself on the scene?"

"My sponsor said that maybe it's time. I spend too much time in my work, in my head, and that dating, having a girlfriend, would help me get out into the world."

"I think it's great, you are taking the leap. It's brave." Hen leaned over the table to look at Bobby. Her voice was sincere but laced with frustration and pain and no small amount of self-inflicted anger. "While at the moment, I think dating or sleeping with someone is not worth the trouble, but I'm happy for you."

Jane gave Hen a soft look. Hen had finally come clean to her about her own full moon experience and its unexpected ramifications for her family. While internally, Jane had been upset for the two of them, and even a little mad at Hen for stepping out on Karen, Jane let nothing show. Nothing good would come of those feelings. Besides, she could see her friend's genuine devastation at what had happened. She believed that Hen was truly sorry and that it was a one-time event. It wasn't her place to judge anyone. All she could do was to be there for both Hen and Karen during this time.

Hen had actually asked Jane if she would call and check on Karen. She'd moved into her parents with Denny and wasn't taking Hen's calls. Jane did so, and Karen was surprisingly grateful. She didn't feel comfortable calling Jane since Jane obviously worked with Hen and she hadn't wanted to put her in the awkward position of taking sides. Jane simply told the woman that she understood and asked if she needed anything. They'd talked for an hour, and afterwards Jane was convinced that after some time apart, her friends' marriage would make it.