Chapter 71

Clary was dying.

Iris had been serious about the blood oath Clary had made to her. And piece by piece her flesh was slowly burned and would eventually kill her until it reached her heart.

Maia had also attacked Clary. She had said that if one life was the price to pay to save millions then she'd do it, but she wouldn't kill Serena because of all she meant to the Downworld, not to mention that she was the one that saved her life the night she turned for the first time.

Izzy on the other was only forcing Raphael to bite her, getting him addicted to her blood as much as she was addicted to the venom in his bite.

And while Alec was trying to track her down, both him and his wife still oblivious to her actions, Serena was mediating a meeting of the Downworld leaders.

Raphael, Magnus, Luke and Meliorn on behalf of the Queen.

"Mellie, I'm so sorry," Serena said as she hugged him, the scars on the side of his face punishment for helping her and Clary.

"It is not your fault. I chose to help you. One of my many debts to you paid," Meliorn said before Serena kissed his cheek in thanks and he took his seat, dressed in Seelie armour.

"Gentlemen, thank you for coming. I know I have told you this through fire message, but this needs to be done in person. Valentine wants to use the Soul Sword to decimate the entire Downworld, anyone and anything with demon blood, and he needs me or Clary to activate it."

"And you have a plan?" Raphael asked her.

"Even if the Downworld unites all its factions, you still won't be able to match Valentine's numbers or the demonic experiments he has. But together, we might just stand a chance," Serena explained.

"Whatever we do, we cannot let him get to Clary or Serena," Magnus spoke up.

"On behalf of the Seelie Queen, I'd like to propose an alternative," Meliorn said, and everyone knew this couldn't be good. "Execute Clary Fairchild on sight."

"Care to rethink that?" Magnus prompted.

"It is the safest course of action. We all trust Serena with our lives, we have, and she's trusted us with hers. She would rather die than let herself be used to kill us. But we don't know the lengths that Clary Fairchild is willing to go for us. It reduces the chances of Valentine using the Sword."

"Look, my being a part of this Council is to ensure that Downworlders and Shadowhunters get along. And since I'm sure I speak for Luke and Magnus when I say that killing my little sister, killing a Shadowhunter, is not happening."

Meliorn gave a sly smile as he looked towards Raphael.

"Surely, you'd be on their side? You're seeing Isabelle after all."

The others just turned to him while Serena's eyes widened.

"What are you talking about?" Raphael asked.

"I'd recognize that perfume anywhere," Meliorn answered and Raphael's eyes went to Serena who glared at him, telling them that they would talk later.

"Regardless, I am only interested in what is best for the Downworld. And I don't think killing Clary is wise. If you kill Clary, then Valentine goes into hiding and he doesn't come out until he has a foolproof plan to take me. You're increasing the chances that I die. But if you don't kill Clary then Valentine won't rest until he has his favourite child. And then we have a chance at him."

What Serena said seemed to get through to them as they thought over her words.

"I believe Serena is right," Magnus spoke up. "By killing Clary, you're only increasing her chances of dying, then who's going to fight for Downworlders to the Clave? And in the event Serena does encounter Valentine, she's in possession of a Portal Pendant. She'll be portalled out of danger and away from him and the sword."

Raphael sighed before giving a toothy smile. "Why am I not surprised that you make an excellent point? Very well. I shall respect the decision not to execute Clary Fairchild."

They all looked to Meliorn.

"I shall have to confer with the Seelie Queen. Just know for now that we are undecided and until we do choose, our people are still free to choose their side."

And the warrior walked from the bar.

Serena then stood, anger flooding her veins as she pointed to Raphael.

"We're going to have a nice chat when this is all over."

And she too stormed from the bar.