Road Trip

Once more I apologize. At this point, I'm starting to see that my goal will have to be to post sometime between Monday and Wednesday. I've only got about 5-6 more pre-written chapters, and that's when the schedule's going to get really wacky, so we'll see how it goes!

Trigger warnings: touch aversion, mentions of previous torture, sickness

--------------------------

"What's that?"

Varian looked up as a shadow passed over him. The princess was standing nearby, looking down at the picture in his hands. Adira stepped closer, having been tasked with watching him while Hector and Kiki rooted through the Tree to find anything that could be salvaged. "My family," he answered.

She tilted her head. "Aww, they were so cute!"

"Did you want something, princess?" he asked bluntly.

She stepped back. "No, just to see what you were doing."

Varian leaned up against the tree and closed his eyes, Ruddiger warm against his side. Almost too warm. Despite the natural coldness of this region, he was burning up in the afternoon sunlight. Adira still didn't want him to go to sleep, so the best he could do was try to relax. Easier said than done. He didn't feel safe without Hector here, his new injuries stung, he had a headache, and he could feel eyes on him. Some, like Cassandra, were glaring. Others cast looks of pity in his direction. He wanted to scream. But that would be undignified. If he was going to be stuck with these people for the foreseeable future, he was going to maintain his composure, blast it!

Hector climbed back over the edge of the cliff and set a bag on the ground near Varian. The boy started digging through it as his uncle hopped back over the edge. So far, Hector had salvaged the picture, Varian's bow and arrows, his staff, a few books, some clothes, a few of the travel bags they kept packed and ready in case of an emergency, and Quirin's sword. Everything he found went in a spare chest the princess had graciously provided. Varian placed the new bag with the rest of their supplies, pausing for a moment as he placed the picture on top.

"How much longer?" Cassandra growled, walking over to the princess. "The sooner we get moving, the safer we'll be. Crazy Rhino Guy may change his mind and still kill us."

"He has a name," Varian growled.

"I really couldn't care."

He straightened up and pointed at her. "Listen. I get that we all hate each other, but if we're going to travel together, we could at least try to be peaceable. You don't see me going around calling you Violent Sword Lady, do you? Or hey, I could always call you Short Hair like Ms. Adira does."

She smirked. "You call her Ms. Adira?"

He shrugged. "I respect her. I could call her Aunt Adira. Would that make you feel better?"

"I regret saying anything."

"Get away from him." Hector stalked over to them with more baggage. "Touch him and die."

"I didn't," she grumbled as she backed off. "Yeesh, you're as crazy as he is."

He sneered. "Don't insult me by acting like I'm not at least twice as crazy. I'm on my best behavior right now."

Lance looked up from where he was loading the caravan. "This is your best behavior?"

"I haven't killed you, so yes." He placed the bags in the chest with the others, his hand lingering over the leather scabbard of Quirin's sword.

"We'll get him out," Adira murmured, seeing his distress. "We'll bring him back to the Dark Kingdom and place him in the Hall of the Brothers."

Hector nodded.