fifteen; hitoka yachi

☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

amaya's point of view

after school, i walk to practice with tobio and shoyo. i see kiyoko down the hall with a blonde girl.

"hey, i'm gonna go talk to kiyoko," i smile as the boys and i part ways.

"amaya! hi!" kiyoko greets. "this is yachi, another first year, and potential manager. yachi, this is amaya sugihara, she's just joined the team last week." yachi looks familiar. i think she might be in class 5, too.

"hi! nice to meet you, yachi!" i smile.

"h-hi! it's nice to meet you too. are you in class 5?" she asks and i nod.

"well, i have to speak to mr. takeda about the upcoming training camp. i'll meet you guys in the gym!" kiyoko smiles, turning away.

training camp?

"you don't know how relieved i am that i'm not the only new manager now," i chuckle as we slowly walk toward the gym, stalling for time before kiyoko gets back.

"kiyoko is so pretty! i was so intimidated when she approached me! are the guys scary? i'm really nervous! what if i forget their names? i don't even know anything about volleyball!" she exclaims, pulling her hair.

i shake my head. "you'll be okay. i was really anxious when i met them all too. but they're really kind and they will be happy to have another girl on the team, trust me," i shake my head playfully. she seems to ease up a little.

"how did you find out about the open manager position on the team?" she asks.

"a couple of my really good friends are first years on the team, too. i think they'll like you a lot!" i smile and she returns one.

we approach the gym and stop outside the doors.

not gonna lie, i'm still kind of nervous to go in there without kiyoko.

"wanna wait for kiyoko? i'm still really new at this so i'm not sure what we're supposed to do when we get in there," i say and she nods her head.

"i'll buy you a drink from the vending machine if you'd like?" i ask her.

"o-oh- you don't have to!" she says as i walk toward it. she follows me.

"it's fine really, what would you like?" i ask, pushing a button for strawberry milk for myself.  she asks for a fruit juice and i push that button as well, handing her the drink.

"thank you very much!" she says, bowing aggressively.

"you're very welcome! hey, you don't have to be so nervous around me. i get how it is to have anxiety. and, we're both new at this! so we can learn together," i smile. kiyoko approaches us with a box in her hand.

"hey guys! ready for practice?" she asks, gesturing for us to follow her inside. we both follow her and the team is warming up. their heads immediately turn to yachi. i see her flush red.

"who's this?" "another manager?" "she's cute!" i hear various voices say as the team approaches us.

kiyoko introduces yachi when coach ukai arrives, and the boys start practicing while kiyoko teaches us the basic tasks of being a manager.

i'm really glad yachi is here. she seems really nice and having another new person here makes this whole manager thing seem much less daunting.

kiyoko finishes teaching us and practice continues. we watch the guys play a practice game among each other for the last part of practice.

woah, tobio is really good, the way he controls the entire court.

he sets a really fast set to shoyo who spikes it down almost instantaneously. yachi's jaw drops and my eyes widen.

tobio looks over at me on the side of the court and sends me a small smile before breaking eye contact and going into the team huddle.

tobio has serve next. i realize i haven't actually seen them play much. he does a jump serve which almost turns into an ace but nishinoya dives for it, picking it up and sending it accurately to sugawara.

woah, he's amazing! i always wanted to play my position like that. huh, i kind of miss playing volleyball.

the last point is scored after a long volley by asahi. coach ukai calls for the end of practice and everyone cleans up the gym. i decide to wait for tobio and shoyo.

after they've changed and cleaned up, the three of us walk home together.

☼ ☼ ☼

sugiyama for life 😏‼️💯

shoyo
hey, can we study tomorrow
at lunch?

sure i'm free!

tobio
same.

keiko
ugh i can't sorry, we have
a game right after school
at aoba johsai and coach
has a mandatory practice
during lunch hour 😐

shoyo
awe, good luck! we'll miss
you!

oooh yay good luck and
have fun!

tobio
^^^

keiko
thanks besties❤️