Chapter thirty-one

My mind wakes up suddenly, not because of any noise or interruption, but because the amount of sleep feels wrong. I was in between the unconscious and conscious state deciding if I would open my eyes or search my way back to the land of dreams. 

A slight movement besides me makes me curious enough to open my eyes. The moment they flutter open, I close them again because the sunlight entering my room was blinding me.

A chuckle sounds through the whole room, to be more specific, Cole's chuckle. 

I make another attempt to open my heavy eyes and this time with success.

"Buongiorno sorellina, hai dormito bene?" he smiled softly.

'Good morning little sister, did you sleep well?'

I frowned while I was trying to understand what he was saying. I had decided to learn Italian because I am half-Italian and always like a new challenge. But especially so that my brothers can no longer hold secret conversations in front of me.

Cole decided to help me out and tried to help me as much as possible. 

"Buon giorno, mi sento come se avessi dormito per secoli," I said with difficulty.

'Good morning, I feel like I've been sleeping for ages.'

Learning the language didn't go as smoothly as I'd hoped and being awake for five minutes didn't make it any easier. However, the proud expression on Cole's face made it look like I have been speaking it for years.

"You are a fast learner, before you know it you will speak Italian as if it is your native language," he winked. 

"Thanks to you," I praised him. 

I tried to shake off the exhaustion I was feeling. How come I can feel this tired when I just woke up?

"How long have I been asleep for?" I asked while rubbing my eyes. 

"For about fifteen hours," Cole answered hesitantly.

Shock rushed through my body when the words left his mouth. He has to be joking right? 

And then realization hit me, and it hit me hard. 

The past few days flashed before my eyes. The fear and unsafe feeling Nick have caused, the sleepless nights because I was too scared to let my guard down. 

He turned my life upside down with a simple sentence. The question that lingers in my head is what will happen when I see him back again in person. 

Everything was going alright, more than alright. I was truly happy for the first time in ages, and of course he had to ruin it all. It's what he does. He has been destroying every glimmer of happiness in my life for years. And he will keep doing it till his last breath because he has an obsession with ruining peoples lives, especially mine.

And instead of feeling fear this time I felt hatred. So much hate it almost drowned me. And with hate came anger. 

The kind of anger that made the blood pull tightly in my veins. The kind of rage that made me want to hurt him. 

A dark, small part of me wanted to hurt him like he had hurt me, and it truly disgusted me. I shook my head trying to get rid of these horrible thoughts. 

I'm not a violent person, and I will never be. He's already left a mark on my soul, I refuse to let him transfer his evilness to me.  

"Luna?" Cole's voice pulled me back out of my own head, his gaze lingered on my trembling hands.