Chapter 16: Test of Will

This was bound to get ugly fast.

My original plan for when we'd get ambushed is to simply tuck away and get into hiding to avoid any conflict or get some defenders to scare off whoever's intruding, but with Sero's intel and him telling us that he's seeing pro heroes and his classmates, that makes this even more complicated. The Streetkids know that hero society is corrupted and people will get hurt, but I don't want to be the one to hurt people Sero cares about right in front of him.

I look around and count heads for who's helping out, Shiggy, Toga, Twice, Dabi's probably gonna show up but nobody's making promises, Sero, Ren, Kumoko, and I should probably expect a few others to show up if they see this getting bad.

"A-Alright, alright, no one panic. Get to the rooftops we need to ID who we're dealing with and then organize an ambush!" I announced.

I noticed Compress running back to the group, telling us how everybody's safe and in the buildings or taking cover, so we were clear to take action. I didn't want this to turn into a bloody massacre, so hopefully we'll avoid bloodshed in this fight. Managing to summon Crescent Rose with the cooldown time I had between the arena fights and the ambush, I jumped to swing it and hooked the blade onto a street lamp, swinging myself around and using the recoil of the shotgun ammo to shoot myself up and land onto the roof. The others ended up using platforming tactics and Sero was already there to greet us.

We moved quickly to determine who we'd be fighting, and how many enemies or potential targets we'd have to take down. Hoping to the gods we wouldn't be outnumbered by the hundreds, because police can be just as dirty if not more cruel than corrupt heroes.

Sero already had eyes on, so I jumped to his roof to get a look of what he was seeing. The roof was high enough from where we were looking to not be easily noticed, and sure enough, there were only three lone people. Looked like patrolling pros that came across the distant sound of the fighting that was happening earlier. I looked up at Sero, who seemed anxious and worried about the situation.

"S-Sero? Who is that? How bad does this look for us? Are they corrupt? Is anyone gonna get hurt!?" I asked in a rushed tone, realizing I probably didn't help get his worry down. He shook his head to bring him back down to reality, and looked up at me while he put his helmet back on to hide his expression, which I only saw was in his right to do.

"Okay, I know these guys pretty well, they were a big deal when it came to the big Shie Hassaikai bust that was all over the press."

Oh yeah, I remember that. I don't like remembering those germaphobic assholes, because I have some bad baggage with Overgrown Toucan's right hand man. But that's not the point.

What sort of lifted my spirits was hearing Shigaraki shout from across the rooftop because he heard the conversation and what was brought up.

"YOU MEAN THE TIME I RIPPED THE ARMS OFF THAT MAFIA OVERLORD WANNABE!?"

I gotta admit, that made me laugh a bit, and Sero just tilted his head, "Que? What is he talking about?"

"Don't worry about it. Now tell me, do you know about their quirks so we can avoid them?"

Sero focused back on the situation at hand, glancing back and forth between everyone else, the three pros and then me, before putting some info together and pointing out the most obvious one of the bunch.

He was massive, and a dead giveaway of a pro hero kind of look. If I had to guess this guy was nearing eight to nine feet tall. He was dressed in what looked like a massive yellow hoodie, and was talking down to the other two people he was walking with. Sero spoke up once I knew who he was pointing at.