Chapter 13- What Are The Chances?

Emma sat in her bed, in the orphanage, looking at her roommates. Joanne and Max stared back, having an unannounced staring competition. The day had been filled with cleaning, and they were taking a break.

  There was never anything much to do at Donn's Happy Orphanage, as it had been called, so most of the time they sat and stared. Emma thought the name was stupid. This place was filled with orphans who lost their parents, yet it had been described as happy?

  She believed Donn was overselling it. Trying to convince the outside world that everything was fine here. It seemed to be working, too. The orphanage was a bright color, and there were no cracks. On the outside it was peaceful. Same to the outsiders. But on the inside, it was terrible. 

  No, it wasn't the walls had cracks, it wasn't that the place was unkempt. In fact, it was just the opposite. The place looked beautiful. But it was a lie. 

  Donn controlled their actions. Everything they did, besides school, he knew about. He had to know about. So, when he made the no phone policy, Emma was glad that she had kept hers a secret.

  In fact, the Avengers were the one's who were keeping her sane. So, she couldn't risk it. She said nothing about it, even to her roommates, and often texted when they were out, or on the way home from school.

  Donn had even went as far as 'punishments' when they didn't tell them about something they were going to do. She knew that if her secret was spilled, she'd be beaten to her death bed. 

  And besides the constant controlling, Donn was a narcissist. He would constantly berate the children to let them know how they were never going to be adopted. Or how, if they were, they'd be back in less than a week.

  But, she was surprised to say the least when there was a knock on the door, and a man came in. But it wasn't just any man that walked in. No, it wasn't Donn. It was one Steven Grant Rogers. 

  To say that Emma was taken aback would be an understatement. She was panicking. Not on the outside, her emotions were a well kept secret, but on the inside. So when he eyed her, raising an eyebrow, smile on his face, she smiled.

"Hi." She said, standing up, "I'm Emma and this is Joanne and Max."

"I'm Steve Rogers." He introduced, "It's nice to meet you."

She nods her head in agreement, "Nice to meet you, too, Mr. Rogers. So, what brings you to lovely Donn's Happy Orphanage."

"He's here to adopt someone," Max but in, "Duh."

Chuckling, Steve answered, "I'm actually here to adopt a specific person."

Emma's smile faltered, her voice squeaking, "And who would that be?"

"Emma Sauger." He answered.

She sighs, "Not to be rude or anything, but why me specifically?"

"Well, the Avengers decided they needed someone new in their life." He replied, smiling, "We looked through files together and finally found yours. You seemed to be the perfect match."

She sighed in relief, glad that had been their reason, "Does that mean I pack now, or what?"

He nods his head, "Sure. I'll be in Donn's office signing the papers, and when I come back, we'll leave."

As soon as the door shut, she smiled, "What are the chances?"

"Chances of what?" Joanne asked.

"That the Avengers want to take me in." She answered, halfway honest.

---

  After packing her bag, taking an awfully quiet ride to a specific compound, she found herself staring at the place her friends live. Of course, they didn't know she was her friend. Well, all but Natasha and Clint.

Come to think of it, She thought, Maybe they convinced the others to adopt me.

  She put it in the back of her mind for later. Or whenever she saw Nat and Clint. Their expressions would reveal what she needed to know.