sixteen; jealousy

☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

amaya's point of view

"WHO IS YACHI?" keiko aggressively asks me, startling me when she meets me in the courtyard before school. she grips onto my shoulders and looks at me with wild eyes.

"oh- she's another new first year manager for the volleyball team. i invited her to study with us yesterday at lunch since she's in class 5 also," i say. keiko slumps down.

"i was on facetime with sho last night and he kept mentioning her," she sadly says. "is she pretty?"

i scoff. "keiko you idiot. you think he likes her just because he talked about her? he obviously likes you! he acts so much differently around us, including yachi, than he does around you. anyone could see how much he likes you," i say, lifting her head up to look at me. "he's probably just excited that she helped make his notes pretty, that's all."

she sighs. "why do i have to have feelings for that dummy? ugh, we're not even dating and i'm jealous!"

i chuckle. "not gonna lie, if tobio started talking about her to me i'd get jealous too," i reassure her. she seems to lighten up.

"we're down bad, aren't we?" she asks and we both laugh.

"we sure are," i shake my head. we make our way to class. i see yachi walk in and wave her over.

"yachi! hey!" i call. she looks behind her like i'm talking to someone else. i gesture for her to come over.

"that's yachi?" keiko whispers to me as she walks over to us. "she's cute! ugh, this sucks."

"amaya! h-hi!" yachi smiles.

"hi! i'd like to introduce you to my best friend, keiko amari," i smile. keiko and yachi both widen their eyes nervously.

"oh- hi! keiko... nice to meet you," keiko sticks out her hand for yachi to shake. yachi hesitantly takes it.

"yachi! you too! are you going to be a volleyball manager too?" yachi asks anxiously, to which keiko shakes her head.

"nope, i'm on the soccer team! but amaya and i hang out with shoyo and kageyama a lot! we're all pretty much best friends," keiko says.

i know what she's up to. she's such a weirdo.

"oh! that's nice, amaya and i studied with them yesterday. they're very nice!" yachi smiles. i can tell she's anxious. keiko does seem kind of intimidating.

"they are, i mean i'm usually shoyo's study partner but i couldn't go yesterday because of soccer," keiko says as the teacher walks in, telling everyone to get seated. yachi bids us goodbye and goes to her seat in the front of the room. in the back of the room, i smack keiko's arm as we sit in our seats.

"hey! what was that for?" keiko quietly asks, scowling at me.

"i'm onto you, i saw you trying to intimidate the poor girl," i whisper and she gives me a guilty look. i chuckle and roll my eyes, turning my attention to the teacher.

☼ ☼ ☼

i'm next to yachi and kiyoko as we listen to mr. takeda's lecture to the team about passing finals before being allowed to go to a weekend training camp in tokyo.

i silently chuckle at tobio, who's frozen with an expression that just screams 'i'm in deep shit.'

tanaka, nishinoya, and shoyo are all panicked about the news as well.

after the discussion, kiyoko picks up the box she had yesterday.

"yachi! amaya! come here, i have something for you," kiyoko calls. we head over and the team gathers around us in their warmups.

kiyoko pulls out two black jackets that match the ones everyone else on the team has. yachi and i look at each other, surprised. kiyoko hands them to us and says, "welcome to the team! thanks for officially becoming our new managers!"

"t-thank you!" yachi and i both stutter. the team urges us to put them on, and we do. we smile at each other, excited to be a part of the team officially. the team happily welcomes us and then goes off on their own to change and clean up after practice.

"woah! this is so cool!" yachi smiles, examining the jacket. i nod in agreement as we both help kiyoko with our after practice duties.

after we're done, i head over to tobio and shoyo by the wall as yachi stays back and talks to yamaguchi and tsukishima.

"how does it feel to be an official manager of our team?" shoyo excitedly asks. i softly smile.

"it's great. i'm very excited! and i'm glad i have yachi too," i smile. shoyo gets called over by the coach and tobio grabs his bag off the floor. we both head toward the door.

"you look really good in that jacket," tobio says.

HUH???

i get all flustered, and stutter trying to say thank you. he simply chuckles and nudges me, placing his hand on my shoulder closest to him. "you're cute when you're flustered."

it takes me by surprise once again. i open my mouth but nothing comes out as i try to process what he's saying to me. i let out a nervous laugh.

holy shit. what the hell is wrong with me?

at this point my heart is beating frantically. i feel like i'm gonna go into cardiac arrest.

we walk toward our route to get home in silence. i can't tell what he's thinking. is it awkward? should i have said something?

"hey!" shoyo runs up to us. "you guys left me!" he pouts.

suddenly the tension is gone.

"oh- sorry shoyo!" i say apologetically. he waves it off and starts talking to tobio about how they need to study hard in order to get to tokyo. i remain in my thoughts. i need to tell keiko about this.