Chapter 12 | "good luck with that"

Miyeon was in awe of the grand ballroom. It was brightly lit with extravagant chandeliers, flower arrangements, tapestries, everything. And now to mention the people were dressed fabulously, each more expensive looking that the next, and the Princesses were no exception. All of their gowns were somehow more elaborate than the ones from earlier, the skirts at least 5 times bigger and 5 times sparklier than Miyeon's. Their makeup was stunningly bright and exaggerated and they were quite literally covered in expensive jewels.

"You know," Haechan whispered to her, "if we each stole one of those sparkly little rhinestones from those girls dresses, we could probably afford our own palace, and they'd never even know."

Miyeon giggled at his comment, their arms still linked with one another.

"Don't you think those would get heavy?" She said, watching the way the girls elegantly walked around carrying what looked like 100 pounds of fabric on their bodies.

"It's nothing compared to the weight of their egos."

"Or their parents bank accounts."

Miyeon and Haechan chuckled at their own banter, strolling around the outer perimeter of the ball and observing the festivities.

"Miyeon, you made it."

She turned to face forward to see Renjun staring at her with a smile. He was dressed similar to Haechan, with a black suit jacket and black formal shirt left unbuttoned at the top.

"You look amazing."

"Thank you, Renjun, you don't look to bad yourself."

He flashed her another smile before his eyes fell on her arm which was linked with Haechan's, his gaze shifting to the other boy.

"Haechan." He said, dipping his head stiffly.

"Renjun."

"Well, thank you both for coming." Renjun said, the smile returning to his face. "Tonight is going to be busy but I'll try to come and-"

"Prince Renjun!"

He turned at the sound of his name, seeing a girl in a bright red ball gown waving to him with an attempted at a flirty smile on her face that really looked more serial killer-y than anything. Miyeon and Haechan exchanged a glance, both holding in their laughter at the sight of the girl as Renjun let out a groan.

"Looks like you're, uh, being summoned." Miyeon said with a chuckle. "Good luck with that."

"Thanks, I'll see you guys around." With a sigh, Renjun turned and approached the princess.

With him gone, Miyeon and Haechan burst into laughter.

"I bet your glad that you're not a prince now, aren't you?" She teased as they continued walking the perimeter.

"You have no idea." Haechan said, nodding his head. "Come on, let's go find Yangyang and try to kill some time."

- - -

The ball was going well, and Miyeon was happy that they were finally approaching the last hour of this sparkly party. Most of her night was spent conversing with Haechan and the others. The pair watched with amusement as Renjun suffered through dance after dance with the poofy princesses, who danced as if they had two left feet.

Whenever he had a break, Miyeon found Renjun staring at her, sending her the occasional smile, wink, or plea for help, before being swept away by another walking glow stick in heels.

"I'm going to go and grab a drink, I'll be right back." Miyeon said to Haechan, rising from her seat at their table and making their way over to the bar.