Chapter 134: Spring Comes Upon A Withered Tree (I)

【Main Mission: Save the forest creatures trapped in the fire. The number of creatures you save determines your completion rate.】

As soon as Shang Ke regained consciousness, the System dispensed a Mission without even giving him time to familiarize himself with the world's setting. In front of him was a burning forest; trees stretching for several miles engulfed in fire. A rolling heat wave blew against his face, and the thick smoke made it hard to breathe.

Lively fire elements surrounded Shang Ke, and he realized immediately that he could use magic in this world. However, there was no water source nearby, and the flames had evaporated or expelled most of the water elements in the air. What remained couldn't extinguish the fire at all.

Time was running out. Shang Ke did not have time to make a better plan, so he condensed as much water element as he could and poured it over himself. Then, he threw himself into the fire and released his spiritual power to quickly find anything with life. Once found, he would send them out of the forest using magic.

Burning pain kept coming from his skin, and the strong smoke made his tears flow. Everything around him grew distorted and blurred. His long hair danced along the heat waves, and the color of the flames reflected in his green eyes. All the sweat rolling down his body transformed into light blue water elements, lingering around him like stars and fighting against the flames.

He cast one magic light after another as he shuttled through the flames, tirelessly rescuing the suffering creatures.

Over time, he rescued more and more forest creatures from the forest, all of various kinds. They stood at a high vantage point, licking their wounds and watching the brilliant little blue glow amidst the flames.

Darkness slowly enveloped the sky, but the vast forest continued wailing in the raging fire.

Shang Ke's spiritual power ran out, and his whole person collapsed into a small river. The cool water eased the burning pain and washed away the choking smoke and sparks. Soon, Shang Ke found himself able to breathe freely in the water, which seemed to replenish his vitality.

But he was really too tired and had no energy to think about it. He let himself float along the surface of the river which reflected the scarlet flames from the trees. Slowly, his eyes came to a close...

After an unknown time had passed, Shang Ke woke up to the falling rain. He opened his eyes, and the first thing he saw was a piece of silvery water color. The oppressive fire elements had disappeared.

【Congratulations to the Host for completing the Main Mission of saving the forest creatures trapped in the fire. A total of 671 creatures were saved, with a completion rate of over 100%. A bottle of healing water has been awarded. 】

What? He completed it? Even if it was an easy world, it couldn't be easy to such an extent!

【Don't doubt the judgment of the System. Host has comprehended the essence of heroism: to give one's life selflessly, and press forward against all obstacles. Please maintain such a spirit in the future missions as well.】

Shang Ke was in disbelief. He managed to complete a Mission so easily for the first time. It wasn't until he swam out of the water that he realized it wasn't so easy after all. About 90% of his skin was extensively burned, and his flesh was torn, swollen and ulcerated. He looked quite horrible. His originally straight long hair resembled hay, and the few scraps of cloth left on his body barely covered his private parts.

Although he had the protection of water elements, its effects had grown weaker and weaker due to the consumption of his spiritual power. Because he had been so concentrated on rescuing others, he didn't realize how gravely injured he was.