Twenty-Three: "Are you mad at me?"

There's something special about waking up in the morning after camping. Even if I'm not much of a morning person and I typically like to sleep in. Something about the mornings after camping feels magical.

When I first woke up I realized just how cold I was, moving myself even closer to Harry in an attempt to steal some of his body heat. He reacted by wrapping his arms around me tighter, pushing air deeply from his lungs as he breathed out a sleepy breath and snuggled his head on top of mine. I quickly decided that he was on to something when he suggested sharing the sleeping bag, because not only does it feel nice to be that close to him but the chilly morning didn't feel nearly as unbearable.

The sun was shining through the tent and dew accumulated on the outside making everything feel fresh. After those first few moments of being awake I came to the conclusion that if every morning was like this then waking up wouldn't be so hard.

My elated mood carried over to breakfast as I now sit across the picnic table from Harry, watching him as he talks to Hugh. I haven't allowed myself to pay enough attention to their conversation to actually know what they are talking about. And instead I'm too focused on the sun peeking through the trees behind Harry and the coffee in the mug I'm currently sipping out of.

"Did you two sleep okay?" I hear Robin ask as she sets down a plate of pancakes in front of us. "I haven't slept in a tent in years."

"I slept really well," I answer her question, taking another sip of the coffee from the mug in my hand. "It was a nice change from the hotel rooms."

I know at least part of the reason that I slept so well was because of the new level of seriousness to my relationship with Harry. I found it impossible to stop smiling any time I thought about it, which was a lot. But I decide not to mention this factor to Robin because I'm sure she was already under the impression that Harry and I have been a couple since the beginning.

"It was fantastic, Robin," Harry smiles up at her, sticking his fork into a pancake and moving it to his plate. "Thank you so much for letting us do that, we really appreciate it. And thank you for breakfast as well, smells delicious."

"It's no problem," she smiles widely at Harry's compliment, obviously not immune to his charming ways. "It's nice to have some company."

"Yeah," I hear Hugh's scruffy voice to the side of me. "Because you know, we get sick of each other far too easily."

"Hugh," Robin laughs sweetly, rolling her eyes at his clear sarcasm.

They are a quintessential old couple, high school sweethearts who clearly bring out the best in each other. Hugh has a hard exterior, appearing tough and intimidating at first. But Robin brings out his soft side, taking his slight grumpiness and turning it into something to laugh about.

It's obvious that they haven't stopped loving each other even after decades of being together. Hugh can joke all he wants about being sick of each other, but you can tell by the look in their eyes that they only fall for each other more every day.

"I actually find it comforting to know that there are young folks like you two out in the world," Hugh chuckles to himself, taking a bite of the syrupy pancakes. "Gives me hope for your generation, for the future."

I'm not entirely sure where he's going with this. While I think that Harry and I have been nothing but kind and appreciative toward them, I find it difficult to imagine how we could have given him such a big impression. Especially considering Hugh's tough exterior.

I think if they realized the extent of this entire adventure, at least my part of it, they would realize that I'm not someone who should give them hope. I've selfishly ran away, leaving any responsibilities I had because I wasn't ready to grow up. I doubt this is anything they would find admirable.