Summer Vacation (Alternate Universe)

This is an Alternate Universe, you hear that an ALTERNATE UNIVERSE! That means that this takes places in a world where Carter doesn't know Donovan or Link or ever meet them. Enjoy!

***********************************

"Sarge."

Carter didn't look, didn't turn around, didn't acknowledge her father. Instead, she kept shoving clothes into her duffle bag with unnecessary force.

"Don't be mad, Sarge," her father said.

"Mad? Why on earth would I be mad?" Carter said, throwing a pair of tennis shoes into the bag. "It's not like you're making me go with you to Camp David, for an entire month. An entire month where I will have to be around Mason Douglas."

Gripping the duffle bag's zipper, Carter yanked it closed so hard she almost broke it.

"Did you really want to go a month without seeing me?" her father asked.

Carter let out a frustrated breathe and turned around, plopping onto the edge of her bed.

"No. But it's not really every fifteen-year-old girl's dream to have to spend a whole month at a Presidential compound with the most annoying First Son in the world."

"Yes, but it's a big compound with a theater, swimming pool, full gym, bowling alley, and gun range. You don't have to see Mason if you don't want to."

"Good because otherwise, I'm not sure either of us would survive this month."

Chuckling, her father planted a kiss on the top of her head.

"Let's head out."

Carter kept silent on the drive to the airport. Despite not wanting to miss seeing her father, she dreaded having to be around Mason. At their best, they ignored each other. At their worst, they left verbal scars on each other.

As Carter climbed out of the car at the hanger, she had to pause. Air Force One was bigger than she'd imagine and chaotic with people preparing for departure. Carter followed her father as he went through a security check.

"Are you carrying anything lethal?" the military man questioned Carter.

"Only what I have on me?" she said.

The man eyed her and she wiggled all ten fingers. He chuckled and looked to her father.

"I see you're training her right, Steve."

Carter grinned as she grabbed her bag and hooked it over her shoulder. Onboard, she barely had a chance to take in the magnitude of the plane before someone was bumping into her and someone else was asking her to step aside.

"Find a place to sit," her father said. "And stay there, it will make it less overwhelming."

Carter nodded but before she walked off, her father held out a folder to her.

"Read it, memorize it and give it back, this information doesn't leave the plane."

Carter saluted him with the folder and twisted her way through to the back of the plane. When she found a semi-empty area, she stowed her bag away and dropped into one of the leather seats. Voices calling out to each other bounced off the walls and footsteps made the floor thrum. Blocking it all out, Carter opened the folder, studying the map of Camp David and everything she would need to know for the month.

"Owens, what are you doing here?"

Carter inwardly sighed, hating that voice.

"Did you hear me, Owens?" Mason asked.