Chapter 24: Rough Landing

Make sure to vote for this chapter if you like it. Also listen to the song "Futile Devices" in the last part of the story. Happy reading! <3

We land on the outskirts of a beach. Sunset beaming on the horizon with waves shifting forward and back. If exhaustion and the threat of death weren't plaguing my mind, this could be romantic. Before we do anything else I have to change my name. Anyone can find me if they look in their binder. Since I'm a co-creator I can contact Eta and get her to make the change.

"What would you like me to change it to?" she asks.

I tell her the only name that comes to mind. One of the last pleasant memories that made me feel strong and happy. "Lioness."

I also message Tsezguerra about the Bomber and what happened so he can prepare, but I don't bother checking for his responses. It's all I can do to keep standing.

Once I get off my phone, Abengane and I walk up the island's strip. "Is there a significance to that name?" he asks.

"Yes, but it's private. Let's just concentrate on getting that bomb off your shoulder. We're looking for a wambari, because their body produces a parasite that can dissolve solid and sizable materials."

He looks at me skeptically. "Solid as a bomb? Without causing it to explode?"

"I've seen their bile dissolve rocks, so I think you're covered. We just have to make sure the bomb's wires are disabled and don't cause the countdown to speed up," I respond.

"Is there a point if I'll be dissolved along with it?" Abengane mutters.

"You should be fine as long as we remove the bomb quick enough. Allies are supposed to trust each other, right?"

Thankfully, that shuts him up. As we enter the rainforest I remember when Ging and I started researching creatures, their strengths and weaknesses, how they moved, what challenges they'd be good for on the island. I remember the wambari are pack animals, omnivores, never forget a scent. The last time we researched them, they were by cliffs near the beach. They're attracted to the smell of salt water and sea creatures to feed on. With any luck, they'll be here and a few will recognize me. They're proud creatures who can't be approached too quickly.

"Walk up to them slowly and only after I signal you. We don't want to scare them off or provoke them," I instruct.

Once we walk up to the cliff, I see a childling, a young wambari. It's dangerous to go up to their babies, so we wait until the mother and a few others come out. I believe they're the ones Bisky, the boys, and I set free. Some of the scars and tears in their wings are invisible. They're still beautiful with gold in their wings and eagle eyes.

I step out and bow before them, they bow back. When I'm within touching distance, I stroke their spines to help them stay calm. A few coo at me, rub their wings against my shoulders. Their statuesque, jaguar-like bodies gleam in the leftover daylight. I wave a hand for Abengane to move closer. "Make sure to bow."

He does so awkwardly and waits for them to invite him in.

"Pet one of them on the spine."

He hesitates, but slowly draws out his hand, to a male wambari who's a head taller than the rest and stares at Abengane sharply out of the corner of his eye. "Soft and slow," I guide him, placing my hand over his. Eventually the creature leans into the touch and places his head on top of Abengane. We both giggle as feathers cover his face. "Now guide him out toward the cliff."

Abengane's eyes grow wide at the suggestion. "What?"

"Stay calm. Remember, countdown speeds up if your heartrate goes up." I notice my hand stroking his more than the creature's back. "You're going to have to fly him—"