21. Evaluation

-Oliver-

-Oliver-

I was extremely nervous on Monday morning, no matter how hard I tried to not think about the evaluation. How was I not supposed to think about it? Their decision would either change my life completely, or then force me to continue living like this, knowing I had a chance to get an actual home.

It was honestly turning me into such a nerve-wreck I couldn't even worry over the Son of Whoever.

At least at school, I had Jaden's soothing presence to help me stay somewhat calm, even when he wasn't in the same room with me. It was enough to feel him close by. I tried to focus on my classes, but at that moment, studying felt like just a waste of time.

I tried to be social while I was with Jaden, Arch, and Tilly, but I couldn't stop myself from thinking about the evaluation. None of them talked much either, and I figured it was mostly my fault since they could feel my anxiety, but I also hoped they knew I was glad for their company.

Because without them, I would've completely lost my mind and then I'd definitely fail the evaluation.

It took me a while to notice Jaden was getting distracted by something else every now and then. He had also been really quiet the entire day. After we ate our lunch – at least I tried – I noticed him glancing over his shoulder a few times as we were leaving the lunch hall.

"What is it?" I asked, trying to see what he was looking at, but I couldn't find anything out of the ordinary.

"What? Nothing?" he spoke, but I could feel him begging for me to not push it further, so I didn't.

It was definitely something.

We still had some time to spare, so we just walked around the school in silence, but at some point, Jaden stopped me, but turned to speak to Tilly and Arch.

"You guys go ahead. We'll come find you in a minute," he told them.

"What? Why?" Tilly frowned.

"Just give us some privacy, will you?" Jaden said.

"Ugh, fine," Tilly said, and the two of them continued walking.

"How are you holding up?" Jaden asked me, but I could tell he was just pretending so Tilly or Arch wouldn't get suspicious.

Like I was.

"I'm good, I guess," I said, playing along.

"Are you sure? You know I will get you that home, no matter what," he said, and this time I knew he wasn't just acting. "Nothing will stand in your way as long as I'm alive."

I smiled at him and got up on my toes to peck his lips, and then hugged him tightly. "I know."

"Good. You have absolutely nothing to worry about," he said as he hugged me back.