Chapter 16: Identify Yourselves: Powerful New Rivals

"You're an embarrassment to our village. Why do you think we came all the way here to Konoha"

        "P-Please listen to me, Gaara," Kankuro stuttered. "T-They lashed out first..."

        "Shut up!" Gaara ordered, his seafoam-colored eyes narrowing at the older male. "I'll kill you."

        "U-Understood, I was wrong. I-I'm sorry... I'm really sorry."

        The red-haired boy turned his head to look at your group. His eyes seemed to zero in on you. You stiffened, your fight-or-flight instinct flaring up.

        "I'm sorry about that..." Gaara apologized monotonously, addressing you all. He then dissolved into sand before reforming on the ground beside his siblings. "Let's go. We didn't come here to play around."

        "I know," Kankuro answered.

        The trio turned to go until they were stopped by Sakura.

        "Chotto matte (Wait)!"

        They paused.

        "Nanda (What)?" Temari asked without turning around.

        "Judging from your hitai-ate, you're Ninjas from Sunagakure no Sato, right? Without question, the Land of Fire and the Land of Wind are allied nations. But the arbitrary coming and going of Shinobi is supposed to be prohibited by the treaty. State your purpose!"

        You gazed up at the blue sky, watching the white clouds float by. "Sakura, stop. It's that time of year again."

        A light seemed to ignite in Sakura's eyes. "Oh! The Chūnin Exam!" She bowed to the three Suna ninja. "Sorry for wasting your time."

        "Chūnin Exam?" Naruto echoed. "What is the Chūnin Exam anyways, dattebayo?"

        Sakura scoffed as she hit Naruto on the head. "You really don't know anything, do you? Did you even pay attention in class?"

        "Nii-chan," Konohamaru called. "If you pass the exam, you can go from Genin to Chūnin!"

        "I see! Then, maybe I'll try taking them!"

        The Suna siblings began walking once more. However, this time, they were stopped by Sasuke.

        "Oi! You there... What's your name?"

        Temari stopped, turning around, while her brothers kept walking. "Huh? M-Me?"

        "No. The one with the gourd next to you!"

        Gaara paused, facing Sasuke. "Sabaku no Gaara... I have an interest in you as well... along with the girl behind you... What are your names?"

        Sasuke smirked. "Sasuke Uchiha."

        You lowered your head. "(A/n)"

        You made eye contact with the youngest Suna sibling. You could identify the killer intent that swirled in his eyes that were directed at you.

        "Ano sa! Ano sa!" Naruto interrupted. "What about me? What about me?"

        "Not interested." With that, the Suna ninja leaped away. Naruto sulked.

        "Konohamaru, do I look weak?"

        "Compared to Sasuke nii-chan, yes..."

        Naruto growled. "Sasuke! I won't lose to you!"