Chapter 10

Nathalie sat next to her window gazing at the stars.

Her sight was lost and her mind was thoughtless. Her phone, sitting on the side table next to her, had endless missed calls.

Gabriel opened the door in a hurry.

-NATHALIE? – he yelled – There you are, I was worried sick.

Nathalie did not answer, she only kept staring out the window.

-Nat? What is it?

No answer.

-Nathalie? – he kneeled next to her and took her hands in his.

-I can't do this anymore – answered Nathalie in a paused, almost robotic voice.

-What? – he asked surprised – Wh... what do you mean?

She turned her face to look at him. Her eyes were almost lifeless. She stared at him in silence, the only audible sound was her heart monitor.

-I can't be here anymore.

-What?

-I can't stay in this room anymore – she answered.

-No... no Nathalie... you... you are getting so much better... you...

-You have both miraculous working perfectly for you now. You don't need me anymore, you will succeed, you will bring her back and everything will be fine. I am not useful anymore, stuck in this room. I can't stand the loneliness. Not anymore.

It had been months since that day in the jacuzzi.

It had been months since they had fixed the peacock miraculous.

Nathalie was confined to her room to recover her health, which was happening but at a very low pace. As she grew physically stronger, she also sank deeper into depression. Away from Gabriel, away from Adrien, away from her work.

-I... miss... I.... it doesn't matter – she continued, but quickly looked back at the window.

-You need to stay here to...

-WHY? – she asked.

-To... to get better.

-WHY? -she asked again.

- ... well...

-WHY? WHY, GABRIEL? – she asked one more time – You are closer to reach your goal, without me.

-Nathalie...

-I want to go to bed – she interrupted.

Gabriel sighed and stood up picking her up in his arms.

He slowly placed her in bed and took a moment to stare at her. She looked physically healthier but her sight was lost, her eyes were dark and her skin lacked her usual glow.

-Nathalie don't say that. I need you; I need you to get better. Maybe... maybe I can stay, or maybe... - he realized she wasn't even looking at him -... I am sorry – he answered and walked away -Good night.

-Wait... - answered Nathalie holding his hand. -Stay.

Gabriel turned around and found her with a begging look on her face.

-Stay -she repeated.

She let go of his hand and made room for him in bed.

He stripped down to his boxers and got in bed.

Nathalie was lying in her pillow just staring at him, impassive.

Gabriel's heart broke, in one second, he pulled her towards him and he held her tight. She placed her arms around him, hid her face on his neck, and began crying loudly.

Nathalie woke up alone.

-Naturally – she whispered to herself.

Like any other day, her body refused to get out of bed.

...

______________________________________________

-Wait... - said Gabriel interrupting his wife. -So, you are just going to tell me that I am a jerk and walked away in the middle of the night like some teenager?

-Let me tell the story – Nathalie answered.

-AND WHEN DID I TELL YOU ABOUT MY WET DREAMS?

Nathalie burst into laughter.

-Around the 5th time you actually fucked me – she answered, making Gabriel blush from head to toe. -Now, can I continue the story about your imbecility?

-Yes – he whispered, still too embarrassed to look at her.

______________________________________________

Nathalie woke up alone.

-Naturally – she whispered to herself.

Like any other day, her body refused to get out of bed.

To be honest, she was beginning to believe that crying herself asleep in Gabriel's arms had been a dream when the door opened.

-Good morning – said Gabriel walking fast towards her.

Nathalie didn't even have time to answer before she found herself being carried away from her bed in Gabriel's arms.

-Umm... ok... good morning – she said as he carried her out of her room. -Where are you taking me?

-Breakfast.