Waiting

Third person:

The group of friends stared into the caravan where their witch and scientist friends were. "How much longer do you think he's going to sit there?" Eugene asked as they stared at the young boy sitting in a chair with a book and reading to himself and looking up at the sleeping girl in front of him every few minutes. "Probably until she wakes up. The only time I've seen him get up was to grab some books to read." Rapunzel said and Cassandra rolled her eyes and groaned quietly. "It's been 2 days. Can't we move her into his bed so he gets out of our side of the caravan?" Cassandra asked causing Rapunzel and Eugene to glare at her.

"Even if we wanted to move her, I doubt he would let us. He doesn't want to wake her up if she's not ready. He's been very adamant about us staying quiet around her." Eugene said as he remembered the various times where Varian would tell them to keep quiet. "He won't even let us near her unless we're changing her bandages." Cassandra added and Rapunzel sighed. "I'll see what I can do." She said getting ready to talk to Varian only to be held back by the two. "Uh, hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Varian still doesn't trust you Sunshine. I'll try to talk to him. Man to man." Eugene said causing Cassandra to laugh. "More like idiot to brainiac." She said before leaving with Rapunzel and Eugene entered the caravan.

"Uh...hey kid." Eugene said as he pulled up a chair to sit next to Varian. Varian only slightly glanced at Eugene before looking at (Y/n) then back to his book. Eugene sighed before pulling the book out of his hands and closing it and putting it on the ground. "What's going on? I know that (y/n) is hurt, but this is a little much don't you think?" Eugene asked and Varian sighed looking back at the book. "You could have at least let me save my page." He said rolling his eyes.

Eugene gave him a stern look and Varian sighed. "I'm just waiting for her to wake up. She hasn't been out for this long before a-and I'm just worried." Varian said looking at his girlfriend that was cozy under her covers. "I should've just made her come with the rest of us and she wouldn't be hurt." Varian said and Eugene saw the guilt flooding through his eyes. "You're blaming yourself for what happened? Varian, I know that I'm probably one of the last people you want to hear this from but, kid, you can't blame yourself for this. We both know that she's too stubborn to not have done what she did." Eugene said and Varian stared in front of him.

"All of this is because of what happened." Varian said softly as he glared at the ground. "What are you talking about?" Eugene asked. "If I just wore that stupid charm, or whatever it is, none of this would have happened. My dad wouldn't be trapped in amber, I wouldn't have lent my body to a demon that's trying to destroy my girlfriend, (Y/n) wouldn't have broken me out, and she wouldn't be wanted by probably all of Corona. (Y/n) wouldn't be hurt as badly as she is." Varian finished and his eyes started to collect tears, but he sucked it up.

"This kind of thing would have happened no matter what. I mean, we've both seen how badly she gets sometimes-" Varian cut Eugene off. "What do you mean? I-I watched her continuously do this to herself, mainly for my sake! She tried time and time again to get my dad out of the amber! I hate seeing her getting hurt like this! A-and I can't do anything to help b-because no matter how hard I try, I can't wrap my head around what she does! It doesn't make sense at all! Logic, reason, even science can't explain what she does! I-I can't even begin to explain it because it doesn't make sense!" Varian said as he put his head in his hands. Eugene hesitantly placed a hand on the boys back.

"This isn't just about what happened a couple days ago is it?" Eugene asked and Varian shook his head. "I happen to know my way around the ladies, so tell me what your little predicament is." Eugene said leaning back with his arms behind his head. Varian sighed and crossed his arms. "Why...why isn't she mad at me?" Varian asked and Eugene raised his brow at him.

"I'm sorry all of this is because she's not mad at you?" Eugene asked not believe it. "S-she should hate me! B-but she still acts the same as before! Like nothing changed! I-it's too consistent! It makes zero sense!" Varian said running his hands through his hair messing it up more than it already was. "Why should she be mad at you?" "Because of everything! I-I tried to destroy the kingdom, I made a deal with the thing that wants to kill her the most, I've put her in so much danger, and not to even mention my experiments that go wrong sometimes! Right after the incident she came to visit me with cupcakes. Cupcakes!" Varian said remembering all the times (Y/n) should have been mad at him.

"She just smiles and says it's okay and something along the lines of 'things happen for a reason' or something." Varian said putting air quotes around things happen for a reason causing Eugene to let out a soft chuckle. "Yeah that does sound like (Y/n)." Eugene said remembering all the times that all have messed up and (Y/n) just lets it go. "I think that's just how she is Varian. I mean think about it. Does (Y/n) seem like the type of person to hold a grudge against someone who made a mistake?" Eugene asked and Varian shook his head no.

"Exactly! (Y/n) is very forgiving. She understands that people make mistakes. Most people aren't like that. While we're on the topic of her being mad you're telling me that she wasn't mad at you at least a little bit from what happened?" Eugene asked and Varian stared up at him. "No! She wasn't mad at all! She just said that she knows it wasn't all me most of the time and that she's glad that I'm okay. But...most of those ideas were mine. I-I just didn't have the guts to do any of them on my own. She acts like none of it was my fault." Varian said looking down at his hands and Eugene sighed.

"I probably shouldn't tell you this, but I think you need to hear it." Eugene said and Varian looked up at him. "When the king put (Y/n) in the dungeon I went to visit her. She was having a full blown melt down about everything that was happening. She was blaming herself." Eugene said and Varian's eyes widened slightly. "Seeing her like that...you could tell that she was holding everything in for a long long time. She was having just as hard of a time as the rest of us, she might have been worse than the majority of us." Eugene said now looking down at his hands and sighing.

"When I told her I'd get her out, she told me she accepted her fate. She said that it was all her fault the moment she broke out of the first jail cell she was put in. I don't doubt that she still thinks that way. (Y/n) blames herself for everything bad that has happened. Her village, bringing Zhan tiri here, your father, you getting possessed, everything. She even yelled something about not being able to get you to drink hot chocolate." Eugene said with a short laugh to try and lighten the mood and Varian let out a small smile.

"She was trying to ward off the demon using hot chocolate." Varian said and Eugene let out a soft laugh. "My point is, you all have to stop blaming yourselves for what happened. You, Rapunzel, and (Y/n). You should really talk to her once she wakes up." Eugene said and Varian nodded as he stared at (Y/n). Eugene stood up and Varian's eyes followed him.

"Come on kid. You need to eat something. She'll wake up soon I'm sure." Eugene said holding the caravan door open for Varian. The young alchemist glanced between (Y/n) and the door before leaning forward. He placed a gentle kiss on her forehead and headed towards the door with Varian.

Varian sat with the others with Ruddiger in his lap. Varian stared at the apple in his hand before handing it to Ruddiger who happily ate it. Everyone was talking around the campfire while Varian just stared at it thinking about his talk with Eugene. They all heard the door to the caravan squeak open softly causing their conversations to stop.

Varian looked up from the camp fire and saw everyone looking at the caravan. He slowly turned around and saw a black cat and a girl with messy hair, bandages around her chest, arms, and hands. She was wearing a pair of old baggy brown pants and leaned against the door frame of the caravan. (Y/n) looked up and saw everyone staring at her causing her to stop her movements entirely and stare at all of them.

"Well...I'm not dead." She said with a soft smile trying to joke about the situation. Varian smiled and got up from where he was sitting and ran up to her about to pull her into a hug before stopping right before. "C-can I...a-are you...h-hi..." Varian said with a soft blush covering his cheeks and (Y/n) laughed softly. She opened one of her arms out. "Not too tight okay?" She said and he nodded before gently pulling her into a hug.

They pulled away and Varian helped her down the steps of the caravan and down to the others by the fire. Cassandra and Eugene were quick to ask her if she was feeling alright, Rapunzel got up to grab her some food, and Lance and Hookfoot were talking about how she looked like a corpse causing her to laugh softly to not cause anymore pain to herself.