to explain the infinite

Summer blends into fall, and October brings another milestone for the couple. While they were dating at this time the year before, Aaron neglected to tell Juliette when it was his birthday, blaming it on the stress of Spencer's loss.

This year, despite pleads that she doesn't need to buy him anything, Juliette's determined to find a gift that could match even half of the meaning of the bracelet she wears everyday.

It seems impossible to find something for the man who doesn't like things, so she resorts to giving him an experience she hopes he won't forget. His birthday falls on a Saturday, so she wakes at the crack of dawn to pick up cupcakes from a local bakery and catering from a deli, because she's not about to ruin the day by burning down their kitchen.

She returns to both of the boys still asleep, brewing two mugs of coffee before returning to her room. She sets the cups on the bedside table and climbs under the covers again, watching Aaron stir then nuzzle his head into her lap.

Juliette runs her fingers through his fluffy locks, whispering, "Happy birthday."

She feels him smile against her thigh, then mutter, "Thank you."

He sits up at the smell of coffee, pressing a kiss to her lips before taking a mug and cuddling up next to her. They take the time to sit in silence, tracing circles around the other's knuckles and peppering each other with kisses.

Maybe things would have gone farther if Jack didn't bolt from his room to their's, almost spilling their coffee as he jumps onto the bed. "Happy birthday!" He yells, taking away any of Aaron's grogginess.

"Thanks, buddy." He smiles, ruffling his hair. "How about we make chocolate chip pancakes for the occasion?"

"Yeah!" Jack yells again, jumping off of the bed, running to the kitchen.

Aaron starts to stand up, fearing food could be everywhere within moments, but he leans in to kiss Juliette one last time. She's smiling bigger than she ever thought she could, simply because Aaron's nose brushes against hers when he pulls away.

Aaron enters the kitchen to find one opaque tote bag sitting on the counter, and two others in the fridge. While she sits at a barstool, he pulls out the ingredients for breakfast and sends her a look.

She smiles mischievously, staring at the strands of his hair that flop over without any gel. "We're going on a picnic for lunch."

He only raises his eyebrows as Jack asks, "Really?"

"Mhm." Juliette nods. "At the park."

"Awesome!" He smiles, running to the pantry to find the chocolate chips.

Aaron leans in, murmuring, "You didn't have to do all this."

"I wanted to." She shrugs, a smile hiding behind her mug.

They spend the morning watching cartoons, dressing down before making the quick drive to the park. Juliette didn't pack light, pulling out a plaid blanket to set on the grass that looks out to the soccer field and shaded woods.

She throws a soccer ball as far as she can to occupy Jack, pulling out their meal and sharing a smile with Aaron.

Sitting under a refreshing breeze and surrounded by all of the things he loves, he's unbearable grateful for the place he's found himself. He can't remember a time he's ever been this truly happy, or so unconditionally in love.

He finds himself staring at Juliette, lost in admiring every inch of her face. He's snapped out of it by her yelling for Jack to join them, finally finished setting up the elegant autumn picnic.