Not a monster

"What?" Lucas turned to me sharply. I could almost see the fumes from his head.

"Benard didn't pick us, so Chris took us on the subway," Abby continued, oblivious to the anger seeping from her father as he glared at me." It was so much fun. But Aiden fell asleep the way."

"Abby," I called, with a nervous laugh, desperate to stop her from talking more. "Would you like to have dinner now? I know you're super hungry."

"Yes, but I want daddy to feed me."

"Um... Princess, go with Chris, I still have a lot of work to right now." He brushed his hand through her hair, and slowly brought his eyes to mine in a gripping glare.

Oh boy... I had a lot of explaining to do.

"Okay, daddy," she said and reluctantly hopped off her father's lap. She stood on her tiny toes to allow her to reach for Lucas's chin. He leaned down, and she kissed him on his chin. Abby giggled happily as Lucas returned the kiss with many more kisses all around her neck and cheek.

It was adorable, and I was grinning so much I almost forgot that I had a major fuck up to answer for.

I changed Aiden's clothes and put him back to bed, while Emma made dinner for Abby. After she had dinner, she said goodnight to her father who was still sitting in the living room and had resumed his frown. He did not say a word to me as I carried sleepy Abby from his arms to bed.

Abby was really tired and fell asleep before I finished the first page of her story. I had wished she would take a bit longer so I could mentally prepare myself for what I knew was coming, but she didn't. I kissed the kids goodnight, turned on the glowing stars, and left the room.

The hallway was quiet, and I thought of sneaking back to my room, but I knew there was no need to prolong this, besides, there was really nothing stopping Lucas if he came up to my room to have the conversation.

When I walked back downstairs, Emma was on her way to her room, and she gave me a half-smile that said, "good luck." Well, that I would definitely need.

Lucas had a glass of what I guessed to be scotch, in his hand, and he had not moved from his seat since I left, and the only sound in the room is from his fingers drumming on the couch. Despite the tension building, I squared my shoulders, took a deep breath, and walked to him.

"What make you think you can break my rules Chris?" he roared before I even got the chance to say a word.

"Please keep your voice down, the kids are asleep," I said using the calmest tone I could use. "Also, I do not think I can break your rules. I did not do that on purpose."

"Of course, it was not on purpose that you put the life of my kids in danger." he shot back with a scowl and downed the rest of his drink in one swig.

"Danger?" I looked at him with a shocked expression. What could be so endangering about a simple subway? "Lucas, no one was in danger."

"Like hell, they weren't." he got to his feet, and immediately I remembered how intimidating it was to be around him. "You could have simply called instead of putting yourself and the kids at such risk."

My heart was now thumping in my chest, and without thinking, I took a step closer and raised my shoulders in an attempt to look more confident. "It's just the fucking subway Lucas," my voice was also a lot higher this time, but I was too angry to pay attention to that. "Also, I fucking called. Maybe a little over a million fucking times. I called Benard before we left the mall, I sent three texts, with no reply. It was getting dark and really cold, the kids were already tired, and so was I. So tell me, what the hell should I have done? Walk home with the kids on my back?"